May 19, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
The Coyotes have had a host of problems in the Western Conference finals. They haven’t been competing at the same level they were at in previous rounds, they’re getting beat up by the Kings, and they’re not scoring goals or getting off many shots.
The latter fact is something that irks Coyotes coach Dave Tippett and he wants to see his team do more to make Jonathan Quick‘s life in goal miserable. Tippett tells Eric Duhatschek of The Globe And Mail now is the time to get things done.
“Until we continue to test him for an extended period of time,” said Tippett, “he hasn’t had it very tough down there.
“They’ve done a good job of protecting him, but I don’t think we’ve created enough around him.
“That’s the thing I’m most critical of our group about – finding opportunities.”
The Coyotes have been outshot terribly in this series by a count of 115-70. Getting just over 20 shots a game against a goalie that’s been lights out won’t win you many games nor goals. Being down 3-0 in the series means losing any battles means the season is over. If the Coyotes want to pull off a stunning comeback, rattling Quick might be the only shot they have.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 39
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 70
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 32
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 65
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 35
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)