May 19, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
The Coyotes have had a host of problems in the Western Conference finals. They haven’t been competing at the same level they were at in previous rounds, they’re getting beat up by the Kings, and they’re not scoring goals or getting off many shots.
The latter fact is something that irks Coyotes coach Dave Tippett and he wants to see his team do more to make Jonathan Quick‘s life in goal miserable. Tippett tells Eric Duhatschek of The Globe And Mail now is the time to get things done.
“Until we continue to test him for an extended period of time,” said Tippett, “he hasn’t had it very tough down there.
“They’ve done a good job of protecting him, but I don’t think we’ve created enough around him.
“That’s the thing I’m most critical of our group about – finding opportunities.”
The Coyotes have been outshot terribly in this series by a count of 115-70. Getting just over 20 shots a game against a goalie that’s been lights out won’t win you many games nor goals. Being down 3-0 in the series means losing any battles means the season is over. If the Coyotes want to pull off a stunning comeback, rattling Quick might be the only shot they have.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)