May 19, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
The Coyotes have had a host of problems in the Western Conference finals. They haven’t been competing at the same level they were at in previous rounds, they’re getting beat up by the Kings, and they’re not scoring goals or getting off many shots.
The latter fact is something that irks Coyotes coach Dave Tippett and he wants to see his team do more to make Jonathan Quick‘s life in goal miserable. Tippett tells Eric Duhatschek of The Globe And Mail now is the time to get things done.
“Until we continue to test him for an extended period of time,” said Tippett, “he hasn’t had it very tough down there.
“They’ve done a good job of protecting him, but I don’t think we’ve created enough around him.
“That’s the thing I’m most critical of our group about – finding opportunities.”
The Coyotes have been outshot terribly in this series by a count of 115-70. Getting just over 20 shots a game against a goalie that’s been lights out won’t win you many games nor goals. Being down 3-0 in the series means losing any battles means the season is over. If the Coyotes want to pull off a stunning comeback, rattling Quick might be the only shot they have.
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 5
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 9
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 17
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 94
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (95)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games