May 19, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
It’s been nearly two weeks since the Flyers were bounced out of the playoffs but we finally know who was left hurting from the postseason.
The Flyers announced five players will have or have already had surgery to repair issues stemming from the playoffs and regular season. Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Carle, Kimmo Timonen, and James van Riemsdyk will all have undergone surgery before the end of next week to fix up separate issues. Here’s the rundown:
- Giroux – Surgery on both wrists. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
- Carle – Surgery to repair torn stomach muscles. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Simmonds – Surgery to repair broken left index finger. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Timonen – Will have surgery next week to remove disc fragment from lower back. Recovery time: 8-10 weeks.
- van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair torn labrum in right hip. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
It’s going to be a tough summer for those five, especially for Carle as he could be an unrestricted free agent come July 1, but with their recovery time not taking them into September all should be well by the time training camp rolls around. All of a sudden, the Flyers’ no-show in the second round makes a lot more sense.
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 0
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 12
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 14
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 68
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 100
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement