May 19, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
It’s been nearly two weeks since the Flyers were bounced out of the playoffs but we finally know who was left hurting from the postseason.
The Flyers announced five players will have or have already had surgery to repair issues stemming from the playoffs and regular season. Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Carle, Kimmo Timonen, and James van Riemsdyk will all have undergone surgery before the end of next week to fix up separate issues. Here’s the rundown:
- Giroux – Surgery on both wrists. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
- Carle – Surgery to repair torn stomach muscles. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Simmonds – Surgery to repair broken left index finger. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Timonen – Will have surgery next week to remove disc fragment from lower back. Recovery time: 8-10 weeks.
- van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair torn labrum in right hip. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
It’s going to be a tough summer for those five, especially for Carle as he could be an unrestricted free agent come July 1, but with their recovery time not taking them into September all should be well by the time training camp rolls around. All of a sudden, the Flyers’ no-show in the second round makes a lot more sense.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)