May 19, 2012, 10:43 AM EST
It’s been nearly two weeks since the Flyers were bounced out of the playoffs but we finally know who was left hurting from the postseason.
The Flyers announced five players will have or have already had surgery to repair issues stemming from the playoffs and regular season. Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Carle, Kimmo Timonen, and James van Riemsdyk will all have undergone surgery before the end of next week to fix up separate issues. Here’s the rundown:
- Giroux – Surgery on both wrists. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
- Carle – Surgery to repair torn stomach muscles. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Simmonds – Surgery to repair broken left index finger. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Timonen – Will have surgery next week to remove disc fragment from lower back. Recovery time: 8-10 weeks.
- van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair torn labrum in right hip. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
It’s going to be a tough summer for those five, especially for Carle as he could be an unrestricted free agent come July 1, but with their recovery time not taking them into September all should be well by the time training camp rolls around. All of a sudden, the Flyers’ no-show in the second round makes a lot more sense.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 6
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)