May 19, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
It’s been nearly two weeks since the Flyers were bounced out of the playoffs but we finally know who was left hurting from the postseason.
The Flyers announced five players will have or have already had surgery to repair issues stemming from the playoffs and regular season. Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Carle, Kimmo Timonen, and James van Riemsdyk will all have undergone surgery before the end of next week to fix up separate issues. Here’s the rundown:
- Giroux – Surgery on both wrists. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
- Carle – Surgery to repair torn stomach muscles. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Simmonds – Surgery to repair broken left index finger. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Timonen – Will have surgery next week to remove disc fragment from lower back. Recovery time: 8-10 weeks.
- van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair torn labrum in right hip. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
It’s going to be a tough summer for those five, especially for Carle as he could be an unrestricted free agent come July 1, but with their recovery time not taking them into September all should be well by the time training camp rolls around. All of a sudden, the Flyers’ no-show in the second round makes a lot more sense.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)