May 19, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
It’s been nearly two weeks since the Flyers were bounced out of the playoffs but we finally know who was left hurting from the postseason.
The Flyers announced five players will have or have already had surgery to repair issues stemming from the playoffs and regular season. Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Carle, Kimmo Timonen, and James van Riemsdyk will all have undergone surgery before the end of next week to fix up separate issues. Here’s the rundown:
- Giroux – Surgery on both wrists. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
- Carle – Surgery to repair torn stomach muscles. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Simmonds – Surgery to repair broken left index finger. Recovery time: 4-6 weeks.
- Timonen – Will have surgery next week to remove disc fragment from lower back. Recovery time: 8-10 weeks.
- van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair torn labrum in right hip. Recovery time: 6 weeks.
It’s going to be a tough summer for those five, especially for Carle as he could be an unrestricted free agent come July 1, but with their recovery time not taking them into September all should be well by the time training camp rolls around. All of a sudden, the Flyers’ no-show in the second round makes a lot more sense.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 7
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)