Brodeur on Rangers fans in NJ: “They are the ones with money, I guess”

May 19, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

rangersdevilsfansgetty Getty Images

While watching highlights of the New York Rangers winning 3-0 against the Devils in New Jersey, it’s hard not to notice all the fans jumping to their feet in Rangers sweaters. That’s the nature of a local playoff series, though, and it’s something that Martin Brodeur didn’t deny to Peter Botte.

“A lot of Rangers fans all over,” Brodeur said. “They are the ones with the money, I guess. They are sitting right behind us.”

That money comment might be countered by this photo that Rangers blogger Scotty Hockey shared on Twitter.

source:

Well, then.

Botte reports that Brodeur believes Devils fans carried the noise levels for the first two periods of the game, so New Jersey just needs to give its fans “more to cheer for.” Avoiding a 3-1 series deficit would be a great start, for one.

1. mrpigs - May 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Marty needs the money!!! Owes his ex 21 million!!! Hahahahah you fatso! Go back to doing you sister inlaw

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He talks to much anymore !

2. nyrangersfan - May 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Hopefully he will retire after this season.

3. biasedhomer - May 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM

The fact is, the Rangers have a stronger fan base than the Devils. Its not money.

4. blomfeld - May 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM

“there’s Yankee cavalry down that road, thick as fleas !” …

Seriously, you guys have no idea how I hope that our beloved Kings meet the Rangers in the finals, up there on the “high” ground … oh Lord, please let it be so …

• jkay1818 - May 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

wow, such anger. You and the 17 other Kings fans in LA must be real riled up. actually we do have an idea how you hope the kings face the NYR, you just said it. “our beloved kings” you, 12 others, will ferrell and david beckham.

careful what you wish for.

• 1337ryan - May 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I don’t mind the kings. The most entertaining thing they’ve done this year is ruin the court for the Lakers.

5. flyeredup - May 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Marty blows

• chill1184 - May 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thats why Marty is playing in the ECF while Bryzgalov is on the golf course right?

6. stakex - May 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Having been at the game, let me share a few facts:

1. The loudest cheer of the night from Devils fans came from Brodeur’s save on Callahan in the second period… and it wasn’t that loud.

2. All the “Lets go” chants were inaudible. It was a solid mix of “Lets go Rangers” and “Lets go Devils” despite the fact there was only about 25-30% Rangers fans.

3. The loudest chant of the night from either side was from Rangers fans chanting “Marty” late in the third. This was BEFORE the open net goal that sent Devils fans running for the exits btw, yet Devils fans were unable to counter it.

4. I’ve been to regular season games at the Garden that are twice as loud as this game was. Devils fans are very boring compared to Rangers fans in that reguard…

—————————————————————————————————————————-

I also don’t get what Marty was rambling about the Rangers fans at the game being the ones with money. The tickets cost the same amount if your a Devils fan or a Rangers fan.

7. bronxsanman - May 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Come on Marty,just say whet you really mean.Im one of the greatest goalies in NHL history and I’ve had to play in their shadow my whole career.They have the greatest fans no matter how well their team is playing and our arena is half full when we are in first place.Wah Wah Wah.I only wish I was a New York Ranger.

8. birdsin2012 - May 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Awww Marty !!! I dont see why he is so surprised…….I have watched NJ vs. Flyerz games for years in NJ (playoffs and reg. season) and I couldnt help but be embarresed for the Devils….I lost count how many times it seemed like a Flyers home game…..that will never happen in Philly despite what team they put on the ice…..Devils fans should be embarresed….stand up for your team !!!

9. daburghdabest - May 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Shoulda banned their ignorant butts from the arena. I condone any action in removing these blue clowns from your arena.

10. nyrangersfan - May 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

daburghdabest- Is it games like last night that make you hate the Rangers and their fans so much? It’s funny, usually after every game that old pr!ck Marty has something to say except last night. Why is that?

11. 1337ryan - May 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I would love to see the Rangers salute the fans after a game at the Rock. Seems appropriate since it’s their second home.

12. michaell1998 - May 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

All of the old people or families go on afternoon games who don’t cheer so wait til Monday when the real fans show up

Top 10 NHL Player Searches