May 19, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Nick Kypreos reports that New York Rangers tough guy Brandon Prust will face a Sunday morning hearing with the NHL for his his hit on New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov. Here’s video of the check for your own perusal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t beat around the bush when asked about the hit, calling it “headhunting – plain and simple.”
Prust wasn’t penalized for the check (which works against him avoiding discipline) but Volchenkov returned to the contest (which might help Prust sidestep a suspension). That being said, Prust isn’t a star either, so some might suggest that his chances of receiving a punishment increases substantially.
Do you think Prust deserves a suspension?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)