May 19, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Nick Kypreos reports that New York Rangers tough guy Brandon Prust will face a Sunday morning hearing with the NHL for his his hit on New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov. Here’s video of the check for your own perusal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t beat around the bush when asked about the hit, calling it “headhunting – plain and simple.”
Prust wasn’t penalized for the check (which works against him avoiding discipline) but Volchenkov returned to the contest (which might help Prust sidestep a suspension). That being said, Prust isn’t a star either, so some might suggest that his chances of receiving a punishment increases substantially.
Do you think Prust deserves a suspension?
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)