May 19, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Nick Kypreos reports that New York Rangers tough guy Brandon Prust will face a Sunday morning hearing with the NHL for his his hit on New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov. Here’s video of the check for your own perusal.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t beat around the bush when asked about the hit, calling it “headhunting – plain and simple.”
Prust wasn’t penalized for the check (which works against him avoiding discipline) but Volchenkov returned to the contest (which might help Prust sidestep a suspension). That being said, Prust isn’t a star either, so some might suggest that his chances of receiving a punishment increases substantially.
Do you think Prust deserves a suspension?
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 0
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1