May 19, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Nick Kypreos reports that New York Rangers tough guy Brandon Prust will face a Sunday morning hearing with the NHL for his his hit on New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov. Here’s video of the check for your own perusal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Devils coach Peter DeBoer didn’t beat around the bush when asked about the hit, calling it “headhunting – plain and simple.”
Prust wasn’t penalized for the check (which works against him avoiding discipline) but Volchenkov returned to the contest (which might help Prust sidestep a suspension). That being said, Prust isn’t a star either, so some might suggest that his chances of receiving a punishment increases substantially.
Do you think Prust deserves a suspension?
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)