May 18, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
Overcoming a third period deficit is already tough for an offense as limited as the Phoenix Coyotes’ but killing three power plays during the third period didn’t exactly help matters. Coyotes coach Dave Tippett – sort of – didn’t take the bait when asked about some questionable calls following Phoenix’s 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings.
“If I told you what I really thought it would cost me a lot of money,” Tippett said. “The game is turning a little dishonest [when it comes to] embellishment by the players. When it’s done well, it’s very hard for the referees. If you fall down by the boards, if you drop your stick or throw your head back you put the refs in a hard position … it makes the game dishonest.”
He didn’t go into exact detail, yet Tippett did say a few things that might get him a fine right there. Tippett also partially blamed penalties for Phoenix’s lack of offense, as they only managed four shots on goal in the third period.
Third period calls
One could argue that Oliver Ekman-Larsson shouldn’t have been the only one who received a penalty when he was whistled for cross-checking. Many probably didn’t like that Shane Doan and Drew Doughty received matching penalties and Brian Engblom objected to a Radim Vrbata slashing call in the game’s last minute.
When asked about the embellishments, Sutter’s response was simple.
“I didn’t see it,” Sutter said. “We didn’t complain last game.”
Perhaps that has something to do with that whole “winning” thing, but Sutter’s been pretty fair with his reactions. He didn’t make a big stink about the Shane Doan boarding hit on Trevor Lewis, for example.
So how big of a factor were the calls? Did refs make the wrong ones? Is Tippett out of line for making these comments? Share your thoughts.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Some smaller signings to pass your way…
Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The torch has been passed.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Bit of an odd twist.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
Both spent the last few seasons playing in Russia.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
One of the Senators’ main penalty-killers last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
One year, $1.25 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Former Jets forward scores a big-money deal.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
27-year-old never really panned out in Boston.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
Having already signed former Canuck Brad Richardson.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT
Nice raise after playing for $700,000 in Pittsburgh last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
End of an era in Toronto. A premier goal-scoring winger heads to Pittsburgh.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Finnish forward coming off a strong first season in St. Louis.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 12
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 122
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (122)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)