May 18, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll has some experience playing the Cinderella role. He was a big part of the 2006 Edmonton Oilers team that came within a win of winning the Stanley Cup, but it sounds like this group is special to him as well.
Stoll told John Hoven about how much fun it must be to start the playoffs 11-1.
“We’re having fun and making a lot of memories right now … which is great because this group of guys really care about each other,” Stoll said.
Some players might not have been so happy about their situations if they were in Stoll’s spot. He essentially went from a second-line center to a checker thanks to Mike Richards‘ arrival, which honestly might fit his skill set more appropriately. Stoll told Dennis Bernstein that he doesn’t care that much about his role.
“Whether I’m playing nine minutes or 19 minutes, it’s rewarding if we win,” Stoll said.
It also must feel great when his line plays as well as it did tonight:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)