May 18, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Even though they have every reason to be tired, the Rangers are not a tired hockey club, according to John Tortorella.
That was the word out of Camp Ranger today, anyway.
First up is Callahan, who has struggled since early in the Ottawa series with what many suspect to be a hand injury.
From Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News:
Callahan has one goal and two assists in his last 12 games, so the speculation is that the Rangers captain could be playing through an injury to his left hand from a blocked shot in the Ottawa series [on a Chris Phillips slap shot].
But even if Callahan is injured, he wasn’t letting on Friday after practice in Greenburgh.
“No, nothing,” Callahan told the Daily News when asked if his hand were injured. “Nothing. I’m good.”
Next up is Staal, who was on the receiving end of a big Steve Bernier hit early in the third period of Game 2. Bernier got two minutes for interference while Staal — who missed 36 games this year with a concussion — gutted it out to play nearly 10 minutes in the frame.
Staal was seen shaking his hand after the hit but denied there was any injury.
“I got the wind knocked out of me, but it’s fine now,” he said. “I’m good.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)