May 18, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes had to kill off three penalties in the third period of their 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. After the game, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett suggested that players were embellishing in hope of drawing penalties.
Although his statement didn’t address the Kings directly, given the context it’s not hard to interpret it as Tippett taking a swipe at Los Angeles. Naturally, the Kings don’t agree with Tippett’s assertion.
“[Tippett] kind of cut the refs down too and they have the best of the best here,” said Mike Richards. “They know what’s embellishment and what’s not. I thought they’ve called a pretty good game.”
Kings coach Darryl Sutter felt that the Kings’ first round series versus Vancouver contained the most dives, but each series has been better than the last in that regard.
“Supervisors and/or referees will come over and say, ‘You’ve got to cool it, next time it’s a dive,’” Sutter said. “I haven’t heard that yet this series and, quite honestly, it really hasn’t been a part of it.”
For his part, Tippett is ready to move on.
“I’ve said my piece on embellishment,” Tippett said.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 6
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 23
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42