May 18, 2012, 7:25 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes had to kill off three penalties in the third period of their 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. After the game, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett suggested that players were embellishing in hope of drawing penalties.
Although his statement didn’t address the Kings directly, given the context it’s not hard to interpret it as Tippett taking a swipe at Los Angeles. Naturally, the Kings don’t agree with Tippett’s assertion.
“[Tippett] kind of cut the refs down too and they have the best of the best here,” said Mike Richards. “They know what’s embellishment and what’s not. I thought they’ve called a pretty good game.”
Kings coach Darryl Sutter felt that the Kings’ first round series versus Vancouver contained the most dives, but each series has been better than the last in that regard.
“Supervisors and/or referees will come over and say, ‘You’ve got to cool it, next time it’s a dive,’” Sutter said. “I haven’t heard that yet this series and, quite honestly, it really hasn’t been a part of it.”
For his part, Tippett is ready to move on.
“I’ve said my piece on embellishment,” Tippett said.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 11
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)