May 18, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes had to kill off three penalties in the third period of their 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. After the game, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett suggested that players were embellishing in hope of drawing penalties.
Although his statement didn’t address the Kings directly, given the context it’s not hard to interpret it as Tippett taking a swipe at Los Angeles. Naturally, the Kings don’t agree with Tippett’s assertion.
“[Tippett] kind of cut the refs down too and they have the best of the best here,” said Mike Richards. “They know what’s embellishment and what’s not. I thought they’ve called a pretty good game.”
Kings coach Darryl Sutter felt that the Kings’ first round series versus Vancouver contained the most dives, but each series has been better than the last in that regard.
“Supervisors and/or referees will come over and say, ‘You’ve got to cool it, next time it’s a dive,’” Sutter said. “I haven’t heard that yet this series and, quite honestly, it really hasn’t been a part of it.”
For his part, Tippett is ready to move on.
“I’ve said my piece on embellishment,” Tippett said.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)