May 18, 2012, 7:25 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes had to kill off three penalties in the third period of their 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. After the game, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett suggested that players were embellishing in hope of drawing penalties.
Although his statement didn’t address the Kings directly, given the context it’s not hard to interpret it as Tippett taking a swipe at Los Angeles. Naturally, the Kings don’t agree with Tippett’s assertion.
“[Tippett] kind of cut the refs down too and they have the best of the best here,” said Mike Richards. “They know what’s embellishment and what’s not. I thought they’ve called a pretty good game.”
Kings coach Darryl Sutter felt that the Kings’ first round series versus Vancouver contained the most dives, but each series has been better than the last in that regard.
“Supervisors and/or referees will come over and say, ‘You’ve got to cool it, next time it’s a dive,’” Sutter said. “I haven’t heard that yet this series and, quite honestly, it really hasn’t been a part of it.”
For his part, Tippett is ready to move on.
“I’ve said my piece on embellishment,” Tippett said.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 9
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 13
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2