May 18, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes had to kill off three penalties in the third period of their 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. After the game, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett suggested that players were embellishing in hope of drawing penalties.
Although his statement didn’t address the Kings directly, given the context it’s not hard to interpret it as Tippett taking a swipe at Los Angeles. Naturally, the Kings don’t agree with Tippett’s assertion.
“[Tippett] kind of cut the refs down too and they have the best of the best here,” said Mike Richards. “They know what’s embellishment and what’s not. I thought they’ve called a pretty good game.”
Kings coach Darryl Sutter felt that the Kings’ first round series versus Vancouver contained the most dives, but each series has been better than the last in that regard.
“Supervisors and/or referees will come over and say, ‘You’ve got to cool it, next time it’s a dive,’” Sutter said. “I haven’t heard that yet this series and, quite honestly, it really hasn’t been a part of it.”
For his part, Tippett is ready to move on.
“I’ve said my piece on embellishment,” Tippett said.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)