May 18, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, the Rangers practiced with a new look on their third line today.
A new, big look.
New York skated Mike Rupp alongside Artem Anisimov and Brian Boyle to create a rather formidable trio. Rupp goes 6-foot-5, 243 pounds, Anisimov 6-foot-4, 200 pounds and Boyle registers as the biggest of the lot: 6-foot-7, 244 pounds.
This could be in response to what head coach John Tortorella told reporters during yesterday’s uncharacteristically chatty conference call.
On what the Rangers need to do Saturday in Game 3:
“I think there are some corrections in our game we have to make, but I also think at this time of the year I know everybody likes talking about adjustments. But it simply comes down to a little bit of will and a mindset.”
On how his team can score more goals:
“I think we’re looking to get more consistent offensively, at least with our forecheck to develop some offense going into these two games here in the series.”
You’d think a line with such brawn would aid in establishing the forecheck and, most importantly, keeping possession of the puck. The Rangers have struggled to sustain pressure through the first two games and routinely failed to hem the Devils in their own zone.
Also: New Jersey’s defense is on the smallish side, notably Marek Zidlicky (5-foot-11, 190 pounds), Andy Green (5-11, 190) and Peter Harrold (6-0, 190). Wouldn’t be a surprise if New York tried to exploit it.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw