May 18, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, the Rangers practiced with a new look on their third line today.
A new, big look.
New York skated Mike Rupp alongside Artem Anisimov and Brian Boyle to create a rather formidable trio. Rupp goes 6-foot-5, 243 pounds, Anisimov 6-foot-4, 200 pounds and Boyle registers as the biggest of the lot: 6-foot-7, 244 pounds.
This could be in response to what head coach John Tortorella told reporters during yesterday’s uncharacteristically chatty conference call.
On what the Rangers need to do Saturday in Game 3:
“I think there are some corrections in our game we have to make, but I also think at this time of the year I know everybody likes talking about adjustments. But it simply comes down to a little bit of will and a mindset.”
On how his team can score more goals:
“I think we’re looking to get more consistent offensively, at least with our forecheck to develop some offense going into these two games here in the series.”
You’d think a line with such brawn would aid in establishing the forecheck and, most importantly, keeping possession of the puck. The Rangers have struggled to sustain pressure through the first two games and routinely failed to hem the Devils in their own zone.
Also: New Jersey’s defense is on the smallish side, notably Marek Zidlicky (5-foot-11, 190 pounds), Andy Green (5-11, 190) and Peter Harrold (6-0, 190). Wouldn’t be a surprise if New York tried to exploit it.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)