May 18, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, the Rangers practiced with a new look on their third line today.
A new, big look.
New York skated Mike Rupp alongside Artem Anisimov and Brian Boyle to create a rather formidable trio. Rupp goes 6-foot-5, 243 pounds, Anisimov 6-foot-4, 200 pounds and Boyle registers as the biggest of the lot: 6-foot-7, 244 pounds.
This could be in response to what head coach John Tortorella told reporters during yesterday’s uncharacteristically chatty conference call.
On what the Rangers need to do Saturday in Game 3:
“I think there are some corrections in our game we have to make, but I also think at this time of the year I know everybody likes talking about adjustments. But it simply comes down to a little bit of will and a mindset.”
On how his team can score more goals:
“I think we’re looking to get more consistent offensively, at least with our forecheck to develop some offense going into these two games here in the series.”
You’d think a line with such brawn would aid in establishing the forecheck and, most importantly, keeping possession of the puck. The Rangers have struggled to sustain pressure through the first two games and routinely failed to hem the Devils in their own zone.
Also: New Jersey’s defense is on the smallish side, notably Marek Zidlicky (5-foot-11, 190 pounds), Andy Green (5-11, 190) and Peter Harrold (6-0, 190). Wouldn’t be a surprise if New York tried to exploit it.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)