May 18, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, the Rangers practiced with a new look on their third line today.
A new, big look.
New York skated Mike Rupp alongside Artem Anisimov and Brian Boyle to create a rather formidable trio. Rupp goes 6-foot-5, 243 pounds, Anisimov 6-foot-4, 200 pounds and Boyle registers as the biggest of the lot: 6-foot-7, 244 pounds.
This could be in response to what head coach John Tortorella told reporters during yesterday’s uncharacteristically chatty conference call.
On what the Rangers need to do Saturday in Game 3:
“I think there are some corrections in our game we have to make, but I also think at this time of the year I know everybody likes talking about adjustments. But it simply comes down to a little bit of will and a mindset.”
On how his team can score more goals:
“I think we’re looking to get more consistent offensively, at least with our forecheck to develop some offense going into these two games here in the series.”
You’d think a line with such brawn would aid in establishing the forecheck and, most importantly, keeping possession of the puck. The Rangers have struggled to sustain pressure through the first two games and routinely failed to hem the Devils in their own zone.
Also: New Jersey’s defense is on the smallish side, notably Marek Zidlicky (5-foot-11, 190 pounds), Andy Green (5-11, 190) and Peter Harrold (6-0, 190). Wouldn’t be a surprise if New York tried to exploit it.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)