May 18, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
George Johnson of the Calgary Herald has an interesting theory regarding the Flames’ vacant head coaching gig, suggesting that current New York Rangers assistant Mike Sullivan could be at (or near) the top of the candidate list.
At 44, Sullivan would project the youngish, upwardly mobile image an exhausted, stale franchise keeps insisting it’s searching for. He therefore doesn’t come with a lot of baggage, but would arrive with NHL head-coaching experience already at his beck and call.
Sullivan, remember, skippered his home-state Boston Bruins for two seasons, sandwiched around the 2004-2005 lockout. In the first of those, he piloted the B’s to a 41-17-15-7 record, good for 104 points and top perch in the Northeast Division.
He was also highly regarded enough to be part of the U.S. setup for the Torino Olympics in 2006.
Other things working in Sullivan’s favor?
— He’s familiar with the city and organization. He spent three seasons playing in Calgary in the mid-90s.
— Sullivan worked for Flames GM Jay Feaster in Tampa Bay (as an assistant coach under John Tortorella.)
It’ll be interesting to see if the timing works out for Sullivan and the Flames. He’s unable to speak with any potential suitors until after New York’s playoffs are over and there’s a belief Feaster would like a coach in place prior to the draft.
That doesn’t leave a huge window of opportunity, especially if the Rangers advance to the Cup final.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)