May 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Timing — it’s everything.
That’s what J.P. Parise might soon learn after giving an interview to Arthur Staple of Newsday.
In it, J.P. answered queries about his son, Zach, possibly joining the New York Rangers when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
Zach, as you may know, currently plays for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils, as you also may know, are currently fighting with the Rangers for a spot in the Stanley Cup finals.
The Devils and Rangers, as you may have heard, kinda hate each other.
So yeah. Timing!
Now do keep in mind, asking J.P. about Zach going to the Rangers is totally legit:
— Zach is represented by Newport Sports, the same agency that scored Brad Richards a nine-year, $60 million deal from the Rangers last July.
— J.P. spent three years playing in New York (okay, technically on Long Island) and called them “terrific.”
— Tortorella was an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Zach was the forward that scored the goal with 24 seconds left to send the gold medal game to overtime. (Rangers captain Ryan Callahan was also on the team.)
All that said, it should be noted the elder Parise offered a disclaimer for his comments.
“My son has said he’s waiting until the end of the year to decide anything, and that’s what he’s told me, too,” he explained. “And that’s because he knows I have a big mouth.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 14
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)