May 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
Timing — it’s everything.
That’s what J.P. Parise might soon learn after giving an interview to Arthur Staple of Newsday.
In it, J.P. answered queries about his son, Zach, possibly joining the New York Rangers when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
Zach, as you may know, currently plays for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils, as you also may know, are currently fighting with the Rangers for a spot in the Stanley Cup finals.
The Devils and Rangers, as you may have heard, kinda hate each other.
So yeah. Timing!
Now do keep in mind, asking J.P. about Zach going to the Rangers is totally legit:
– Zach is represented by Newport Sports, the same agency that scored Brad Richards a nine-year, $60 million deal from the Rangers last July.
– J.P. spent three years playing in New York (okay, technically on Long Island) and called them “terrific.”
– Tortorella was an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Zach was the forward that scored the goal with 24 seconds left to send the gold medal game to overtime. (Rangers captain Ryan Callahan was also on the team.)
All that said, it should be noted the elder Parise offered a disclaimer for his comments.
“My son has said he’s waiting until the end of the year to decide anything, and that’s what he’s told me, too,” he explained. “And that’s because he knows I have a big mouth.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 13
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 30
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)