May 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
Timing — it’s everything.
That’s what J.P. Parise might soon learn after giving an interview to Arthur Staple of Newsday.
In it, J.P. answered queries about his son, Zach, possibly joining the New York Rangers when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
Zach, as you may know, currently plays for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils, as you also may know, are currently fighting with the Rangers for a spot in the Stanley Cup finals.
The Devils and Rangers, as you may have heard, kinda hate each other.
So yeah. Timing!
Now do keep in mind, asking J.P. about Zach going to the Rangers is totally legit:
— Zach is represented by Newport Sports, the same agency that scored Brad Richards a nine-year, $60 million deal from the Rangers last July.
— J.P. spent three years playing in New York (okay, technically on Long Island) and called them “terrific.”
— Tortorella was an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Zach was the forward that scored the goal with 24 seconds left to send the gold medal game to overtime. (Rangers captain Ryan Callahan was also on the team.)
All that said, it should be noted the elder Parise offered a disclaimer for his comments.
“My son has said he’s waiting until the end of the year to decide anything, and that’s what he’s told me, too,” he explained. “And that’s because he knows I have a big mouth.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)