May 18, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Timing — it’s everything.
That’s what J.P. Parise might soon learn after giving an interview to Arthur Staple of Newsday.
In it, J.P. answered queries about his son, Zach, possibly joining the New York Rangers when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
Zach, as you may know, currently plays for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils, as you also may know, are currently fighting with the Rangers for a spot in the Stanley Cup finals.
The Devils and Rangers, as you may have heard, kinda hate each other.
So yeah. Timing!
Now do keep in mind, asking J.P. about Zach going to the Rangers is totally legit:
— Zach is represented by Newport Sports, the same agency that scored Brad Richards a nine-year, $60 million deal from the Rangers last July.
— J.P. spent three years playing in New York (okay, technically on Long Island) and called them “terrific.”
— Tortorella was an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Zach was the forward that scored the goal with 24 seconds left to send the gold medal game to overtime. (Rangers captain Ryan Callahan was also on the team.)
All that said, it should be noted the elder Parise offered a disclaimer for his comments.
“My son has said he’s waiting until the end of the year to decide anything, and that’s what he’s told me, too,” he explained. “And that’s because he knows I have a big mouth.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)