May 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EST
In an interview with Arthur Staple of Newsday J.P. Parise, the father of Devils star Zach Parise, had this to say about Rangers coach John Tortorella, who Zach played under during the 2010 Winter Olympics.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said at the time. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
The younger Parise is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the playoffs, so that statement was interpreted by some as an indication that Parise might sign with the Rangers in the off-season. Shocker, I know.
In response to that, J.P. issued the following statement:
“I have to say I was extremely disappointed in how my comments were portrayed in today’s newspaper article. I would never speak for Zach under any circumstance. He has not talked to me about anything other than the playoffs and we have not discussed anything but the playoffs and that is 100 percent where his focus is right now and I have absolutely no intentions to distract and get things away from his focus right now.”
Zach apparently didn’t realize his father had done an interview with Newsday until Tom Gulitti of The Bergen Record told him.
“I’m not going to touch that,” Zach said. That’s probably a smart move.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)