May 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
In an interview with Arthur Staple of Newsday J.P. Parise, the father of Devils star Zach Parise, had this to say about Rangers coach John Tortorella, who Zach played under during the 2010 Winter Olympics.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said at the time. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
The younger Parise is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the playoffs, so that statement was interpreted by some as an indication that Parise might sign with the Rangers in the off-season. Shocker, I know.
In response to that, J.P. issued the following statement:
“I have to say I was extremely disappointed in how my comments were portrayed in today’s newspaper article. I would never speak for Zach under any circumstance. He has not talked to me about anything other than the playoffs and we have not discussed anything but the playoffs and that is 100 percent where his focus is right now and I have absolutely no intentions to distract and get things away from his focus right now.”
Zach apparently didn’t realize his father had done an interview with Newsday until Tom Gulitti of The Bergen Record told him.
“I’m not going to touch that,” Zach said. That’s probably a smart move.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)