May 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
In an interview with Arthur Staple of Newsday J.P. Parise, the father of Devils star Zach Parise, had this to say about Rangers coach John Tortorella, who Zach played under during the 2010 Winter Olympics.
“Zach likes Torts a lot,” J.P. said at the time. “Zach knows how to work, he doesn’t shy away from the discipline part of it. He’d fit right in there.”
The younger Parise is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the playoffs, so that statement was interpreted by some as an indication that Parise might sign with the Rangers in the off-season. Shocker, I know.
In response to that, J.P. issued the following statement:
“I have to say I was extremely disappointed in how my comments were portrayed in today’s newspaper article. I would never speak for Zach under any circumstance. He has not talked to me about anything other than the playoffs and we have not discussed anything but the playoffs and that is 100 percent where his focus is right now and I have absolutely no intentions to distract and get things away from his focus right now.”
Zach apparently didn’t realize his father had done an interview with Newsday until Tom Gulitti of The Bergen Record told him.
“I’m not going to touch that,” Zach said. That’s probably a smart move.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 0
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)