May 18, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
When Ryan Kesler underwent shoulder surgery in early May, the belief was that it would take him about six months to recover. If you are holding out hope that Kesler might be ready for the start of the 2012-13 season despite that, you’ll probably be disappointed.
“I’m not going to come back early,” Kesler said. “With the program I have, the fourth-month period is when you can really start pushing the envelope and even if it goes until December, I’m not coming back until I’m 110 per cent when I know I’m ready and able to play my game.”
Kesler stressed that his surgeon will not release him until he’s regained full mobility and strength.
Ultimately, this is in the Vancouver Canucks’ best interests. They need him to be at his best, and he probably won’t be if he attempts to return from this major surgery before he’s fully recovered.
In Aug. 2011, Kesler had hip surgery and while he was projected to need 12 weeks to recover, he ended up returning in 10. However, the results were less than satisfactory. After his breakout 2010-11 campaign, Kesler ended up with just 22 goals and 49 points.
That’s not to suggest that the only thing standing between Kesler and another monster season was a couple more weeks to on the sidelines – among other things, his shoulder became an increasing issue in the final months of the season – but his insistence on recovering completely before returning does make sense.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)