May 18, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
There’s a lot of uncertainty surrounding the Washington Capitals at the moment. The head coaching job is vacant, Alex Semin sounds like he’s ready to leave and All-Star defenseman Dennis Wideman is an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
So it was probably nice for GM George McPhee to hear Mike Green wants to stay put.
“Absolutely, I love it here,” Green told CSN Washington. “This is a great organization, a great city and I believe that we’re going to win a Cup here and I want to be a part of it.”
Of course, it might not all be music to McPhee’s ears.
The hiccup with Green’s situation is that he’s an RFA. To retain his rights, the Capitals must make qualifying offer equal to his 2011-12 salary.
Green made $5 million last year.
The 26-year-old has also been chronically injured — missing 83 games over the last two seasons — and seen his offensive numbers plummet. Green, who once threatened to break the franchise record for goals by a defenseman, failed to record a single tally in his last 22 games of the year.
But when healthy, Green is a rare talent. He’s twice been nominated for the Norris Trophy and is only two seasons removed from a career-high 76 point campaign.
So, what’s his value heading into next season?
“That’s something that we’ll talk about, I’m sure, after things settle down here,” he said. “I’m excited to come back if that’s the game plan. That’s what I want, but we’ll see.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 25
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 41
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 95
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (95)