May 18, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Just days after laying off 49 employees to help close a $35 million budget shortfall, the City of Glendale has reportedly included a $17 million fee to manage Jobing.com Arena, payable to Phoenix Coyotes prospective owner Greg Jamison, in its proposed preliminary budget.
City council will vote on the preliminary budget Tuesday, and by all indications it will be approved.
From The Arizona Republic:
Four of seven Glendale council members have said they see the $17 million management fee as a placeholder in the city’s budget. The city must manage the arena whether the Coyotes stay in Glendale or not, and if a deal is not reached with Jamison, the budgeted amount allows the city to put arena management up for bid.
The four council members say they see the $17 million as a reasonable cost based on information city staffers have provided and that keeping the Coyotes in Glendale is crucial for the city’s economic future.
Vice Mayor Steve Frate said he feels comfortable approving the fee in the preliminary budget because it won’t be effective until council sees a finalized deal. He expects one soon.
I’d be interested to know the information city staffers used to deem the $17 million a “reasonable cost” to manage an arena. Not because I don’t think it is – I have no idea if it is or not. I’ve never owned an arena. But if it’s not, the Goldwater Institute could claim it violates the state’s gift clause and make a stink about it.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54