May 18, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Former NHL referee Kerry Fraser addressed the topic of embellishing in today’s column at TSN.ca, making specific reference to the penalty Oliver Ekman-Larsson received for cross-checking Dustin Brown to the ice last night in Los Angeles.
Fraser deemed Brown’s reaction “not proportional to the force exerted by Ekman-Larsson,” which is a fancy way of saying the Kings’ captain took a dive.
Hard-nosed as Brown may be, he does have a reputation for embellishing – a reputation that may end up costing his team, according to Fraser.
Once a player skates down the slippery slope of embellishment, I can assure you it causes every referee to question that player’s honesty when determining a legitimate foul. I would have to suspect that previous history and reputation had something to do with the embellishment penalty that was assessed to Dustin Brown in Game 2 after taking a hard slash to the back of his knee from Mike Smith.
It’s only natural for referees to take a player’s reputation into account when calling penalties. Those that play an honest game should get the benefit of the doubt, while those that live by the flop, should die by the flop.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)