May 18, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Former NHL referee Kerry Fraser addressed the topic of embellishing in today’s column at TSN.ca, making specific reference to the penalty Oliver Ekman-Larsson received for cross-checking Dustin Brown to the ice last night in Los Angeles.
Fraser deemed Brown’s reaction “not proportional to the force exerted by Ekman-Larsson,” which is a fancy way of saying the Kings’ captain took a dive.
Hard-nosed as Brown may be, he does have a reputation for embellishing – a reputation that may end up costing his team, according to Fraser.
Once a player skates down the slippery slope of embellishment, I can assure you it causes every referee to question that player’s honesty when determining a legitimate foul. I would have to suspect that previous history and reputation had something to do with the embellishment penalty that was assessed to Dustin Brown in Game 2 after taking a hard slash to the back of his knee from Mike Smith.
It’s only natural for referees to take a player’s reputation into account when calling penalties. Those that play an honest game should get the benefit of the doubt, while those that live by the flop, should die by the flop.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)