May 18, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
Pretty funny piece here from the Wall Street Journal about Patrick Warburton, the actor that played David Puddy on Seinfeld.
Puddy was many things: Mechanic-turned-car salesman (not a grease monkey), Arby’s enthusiast, devout Christian and a face-painting, Brodeur-jersey-wearing, rabid New Jersey Devils fan.
But now, according to the WSJ, Puddy’s allegiance is compromised.
While he was born in New Jersey, Warburton actually grew up in Southern California…
The Devils and Rangers are back at it in the NHL’s Eastern Conference finals, stirring those mid-90s memories. Brodeur, now 40, was the winning goalie in Wednesday night’s 3-2 Devils win in Game 2. Warburton is one of the stars of the CBS sitcom “Rules of Engagement,” and has done voice work for numerous productions including “Family Guy.”
But he still feels a fond connection to Jersey’s hockey franchise. Warburton has noticed that the Los Angeles Kings may be on their way to this season’s Stanley Cup; as a kid, he attended a bunch of Kings games. But rooting against the Devils would be tough, he admitted.
“Yes, it will certainly tear at my allegiances,” Warburton said. He wondered out loud if he could get away with painting his face half Devils red, half Kings black.
“Can you do that?” Warburton asked.
Thankfully, Warburton said there was no way he could ever paint his face like that.
- Report: Islanders, Leafs, Flyers, Wild, Panthers interested in Bernier 20
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 5
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 9
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 30
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 25
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 61
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103