May 18, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
His reply? They could be back soon. Very soon.
“My gut is I think they’ll be available at some point in this series,” DeBoer told reporters.
Josefson — New Jersey’s first-round (2oth overall) pick at the 2009 draft — fractured his left wrist on Apr. 3 and has missed the entire postseason. Prior to getting hurt, the 21-year-old center appeared in 41 regular season games (2G-7A-9PTS) while recording a plus-1o rating.
“It was not fun at all,” Josefson said of the wrist fracture. “I felt good and it was almost playoff time and I was really looking forward to playing. Now I have a chance and I’ll do my best to get an opportunity to play.”
Tallider’s been out of action even longer than Josefson. On Jan 19, the veteran defenseman was diagnosed with acute thrombophlebitis (blood clots in his leg) and has spent the last three months skating lightly while trying to regain playing form.
He has yet to speak with reporters about his recovery. In March, he described the process like this:
“I have regular doctor checkups but there is no quick way to heal. It takes me the same amount of time as anyone else to heal. I feel good — no pain — but I can still feel it. It’s kind of like stiffness.
“[Recovery is] not too good. You think you can skate more, but you can’t.”
Evidently, things have improved significantly over the last two months.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)