May 18, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The Coyote that orchestrated so much magic in Round 1 hopes it’ll happen again.
Mikkel Boedker — who, against Chicago, became the eighth player in NHL history to score back-to-back playoff OT goals — took to the podium last night following a 2-1 loss to L.A. The defeat put Phoenix down 0-3 in the Western Conference final, pushing the Coyotes to the brink of elimination.
Staring that grim prospect in the face, the 22-year-old Dane was defiant.
“Obviously, a lot of people are doubting us,” he said. “Obviously they think the Kings are going to the finals already. But the series isn’t over. We still plan to win it.
“We’re not done yet.”
The natural response to Boedker’s comments is “Well, what else is he supposed to say?”
And yeah, it’s true — he can’t very well take the podium and tell reporters he’s already booking tee times. But it remains to be seen if the Coyotes can win a single game, let alone four, against a Kings team that is absolutely rolling at the moment and shutting down a number of Phoenix players, Boedker included.
Boedker has one point in the series and is minus-3. That’s not great, but better than the likes of Radim Vrbata (pointless), Ray Whitney (pointless) and Lauri Korpikoski (pointless) — three guys that were in Phoenix’s top five in scoring this season. Whitney led the team with 77 points, Vrbata led with 35 goals.
That said, Boedker still believes his team can win this thing.
“I mean, the odds aren’t in our favor, but we can still win Game 4 and keep coming at ‘em,” he said. “That’s why we play seven, right?”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22