May 18, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The Coyote that orchestrated so much magic in Round 1 hopes it’ll happen again.
Mikkel Boedker — who, against Chicago, became the eighth player in NHL history to score back-to-back playoff OT goals — took to the podium last night following a 2-1 loss to L.A. The defeat put Phoenix down 0-3 in the Western Conference final, pushing the Coyotes to the brink of elimination.
Staring that grim prospect in the face, the 22-year-old Dane was defiant.
“Obviously, a lot of people are doubting us,” he said. “Obviously they think the Kings are going to the finals already. But the series isn’t over. We still plan to win it.
“We’re not done yet.”
The natural response to Boedker’s comments is “Well, what else is he supposed to say?”
And yeah, it’s true — he can’t very well take the podium and tell reporters he’s already booking tee times. But it remains to be seen if the Coyotes can win a single game, let alone four, against a Kings team that is absolutely rolling at the moment and shutting down a number of Phoenix players, Boedker included.
Boedker has one point in the series and is minus-3. That’s not great, but better than the likes of Radim Vrbata (pointless), Ray Whitney (pointless) and Lauri Korpikoski (pointless) — three guys that were in Phoenix’s top five in scoring this season. Whitney led the team with 77 points, Vrbata led with 35 goals.
That said, Boedker still believes his team can win this thing.
“I mean, the odds aren’t in our favor, but we can still win Game 4 and keep coming at ‘em,” he said. “That’s why we play seven, right?”
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 8
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton