May 17, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
In one of the biggest upsets of the tournament, Slovakia defeated Canada 4-3 in the quarterfinals of the 2012 IIHF World Championships.
San Jose Sharks forward Michal Handzus tipped home the game-winner with 2:28 left, capping a furious rally that saw Slovakia score twice in the final seven minutes to erase a 3-2 deficit.
The highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The loss stung Canada on a number of levels:
– That said, ex-NHLers Miro Satan, Ivan Baranka, Tomas Surovy, Kristian Kudroc, Mario Bliznak, Marcel Hossa and Branko Radivojevic are on the squad.
– This is Canada’s third straight quarterfinal loss at the WHC. “It’s deja vu,” general manager Kevin Lowe said.
– This tournament is of massive importance for world rankings, used to seed countries for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Canada entered this year’s WHC ranked 5th.
– Anaheim captain Ryan Getzlaf had a game to forget. His line was caught up ice on the tying goal and then took a kneeing major that led to Handzus’ winner.
“It hurts like hell right now,” said Getzlaf. “I feel like I let the guys down. To be in a hard-fought game like that and play the tournament we did and lose in that fashion, it’s not easy to swallow as a group.
“The guys worked way too hard to be delivered something like that.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)