May 17, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
In one of the biggest upsets of the tournament, Slovakia defeated Canada 4-3 in the quarterfinals of the 2012 IIHF World Championships.
San Jose Sharks forward Michal Handzus tipped home the game-winner with 2:28 left, capping a furious rally that saw Slovakia score twice in the final seven minutes to erase a 3-2 deficit.
The highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The loss stung Canada on a number of levels:
— That said, ex-NHLers Miro Satan, Ivan Baranka, Tomas Surovy, Kristian Kudroc, Mario Bliznak, Marcel Hossa and Branko Radivojevic are on the squad.
— This is Canada’s third straight quarterfinal loss at the WHC. “It’s deja vu,” general manager Kevin Lowe said.
— This tournament is of massive importance for world rankings, used to seed countries for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Canada entered this year’s WHC ranked 5th.
— Anaheim captain Ryan Getzlaf had a game to forget. His line was caught up ice on the tying goal and then took a kneeing major that led to Handzus’ winner.
“It hurts like hell right now,” said Getzlaf. “I feel like I let the guys down. To be in a hard-fought game like that and play the tournament we did and lose in that fashion, it’s not easy to swallow as a group.
“The guys worked way too hard to be delivered something like that.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)