May 17, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
In one of the biggest upsets of the tournament, Slovakia defeated Canada 4-3 in the quarterfinals of the 2012 IIHF World Championships.
San Jose Sharks forward Michal Handzus tipped home the game-winner with 2:28 left, capping a furious rally that saw Slovakia score twice in the final seven minutes to erase a 3-2 deficit.
The highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The loss stung Canada on a number of levels:
— That said, ex-NHLers Miro Satan, Ivan Baranka, Tomas Surovy, Kristian Kudroc, Mario Bliznak, Marcel Hossa and Branko Radivojevic are on the squad.
— This is Canada’s third straight quarterfinal loss at the WHC. “It’s deja vu,” general manager Kevin Lowe said.
— This tournament is of massive importance for world rankings, used to seed countries for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Canada entered this year’s WHC ranked 5th.
— Anaheim captain Ryan Getzlaf had a game to forget. His line was caught up ice on the tying goal and then took a kneeing major that led to Handzus’ winner.
“It hurts like hell right now,” said Getzlaf. “I feel like I let the guys down. To be in a hard-fought game like that and play the tournament we did and lose in that fashion, it’s not easy to swallow as a group.
“The guys worked way too hard to be delivered something like that.”
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 3
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)