May 17, 2012, 11:31 PM EDT
Time (about five minutes at the moment) will tell if this ends up being the game-winning goal, but the story only changes a bit either way. Los Angeles Kings winger Dwight King scored his fifth tally of the 2012 playoffs to give his team a 2-1 lead in the third period against the Phoenix Coyotes. That’s as many goals as Anze Kopitar, the other Kings forward who found the net so far in Game 3.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
King’s last name will encourage plenty of Kings/King puns (I’m guilty of more than a few), but I’d advise that we nickname him “King Kontos.” That’s a nod to Chris Kontos, another out-of-nowhere Kings forward who had a magical playoffs many moons ago.
Here’s a great montage of how well King’s “third” line played in Game 3.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)