May 17, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
Consider this a warning to anyone attending Saturday’s Devils-Rangers game at the Prudential Center in Newark – there will be lots of cops there.
So don’t, like, hold up a liquor store or something.
According to The Star-Ledger, the beefed-up security comes in the wake of “a rare violent outbreak after a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert two weeks ago” that saw “a roving band of teenagers” assault and rob a handful of people leaving the arena.
Dozens of arrests have been made since, but police will still be out in force.
“There will be in increase in uniform presence on foot. There will be in increase in marked patrol units around the arena,” said Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio. “There’s also going to be an increase in plain-clothes officers on foot and in unmarked cars in the arena and in the arena area.”
Newark doesn’t have the best reputation when it comes to crime, but it doesn’t sound like this is a common occurrence outside the Prudential Center.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 19
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 44
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)