May 17, 2012, 12:51 PM EST
Tuesday we wrote it “sounds like” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan will be back next season in San Jose.
First we noted a CSNBayArea.com article written by Kevin Kurz, whose conclusion that McLellan would return was “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
Then we referenced an Elliotte Friedman report that GM Doug Wilson had told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
However, Wilson isn’t ready to make an announcement quite yet.
“You know that I don’t respond to rumors,” he told the Mercury News’ David Pollak. “We are doing our due diligence, and we are looking at every way to improve this hockey team.”
Pollak stil expects McLellan to be back, but “new faces at the assistant level seem likely as the Sharks look to revamp a penalty kill that was a sore point both in the regular season and playoffs.”
It’s been almost a month since the Sharks were eliminated from the playoffs, which is why some are surprised an announcement hasn’t been made yet.
Of course, if McLellan has indeed been told his job is safe, then what does he care? He’d only have a problem if he’s being left twisting in the wind, and according to those who cover the team, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 1
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 47
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)