May 17, 2012, 12:51 PM EST
Tuesday we wrote it “sounds like” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan will be back next season in San Jose.
First we noted a CSNBayArea.com article written by Kevin Kurz, whose conclusion that McLellan would return was “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
Then we referenced an Elliotte Friedman report that GM Doug Wilson had told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
However, Wilson isn’t ready to make an announcement quite yet.
“You know that I don’t respond to rumors,” he told the Mercury News’ David Pollak. “We are doing our due diligence, and we are looking at every way to improve this hockey team.”
Pollak stil expects McLellan to be back, but “new faces at the assistant level seem likely as the Sharks look to revamp a penalty kill that was a sore point both in the regular season and playoffs.”
It’s been almost a month since the Sharks were eliminated from the playoffs, which is why some are surprised an announcement hasn’t been made yet.
Of course, if McLellan has indeed been told his job is safe, then what does he care? He’d only have a problem if he’s being left twisting in the wind, and according to those who cover the team, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)