May 17, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Tuesday we wrote it “sounds like” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan will be back next season in San Jose.
First we noted a CSNBayArea.com article written by Kevin Kurz, whose conclusion that McLellan would return was “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
Then we referenced an Elliotte Friedman report that GM Doug Wilson had told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
However, Wilson isn’t ready to make an announcement quite yet.
“You know that I don’t respond to rumors,” he told the Mercury News’ David Pollak. “We are doing our due diligence, and we are looking at every way to improve this hockey team.”
Pollak stil expects McLellan to be back, but “new faces at the assistant level seem likely as the Sharks look to revamp a penalty kill that was a sore point both in the regular season and playoffs.”
It’s been almost a month since the Sharks were eliminated from the playoffs, which is why some are surprised an announcement hasn’t been made yet.
Of course, if McLellan has indeed been told his job is safe, then what does he care? He’d only have a problem if he’s being left twisting in the wind, and according to those who cover the team, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)