May 17, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Tuesday we wrote it “sounds like” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan will be back next season in San Jose.
First we noted a CSNBayArea.com article written by Kevin Kurz, whose conclusion that McLellan would return was “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
Then we referenced an Elliotte Friedman report that GM Doug Wilson had told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
However, Wilson isn’t ready to make an announcement quite yet.
“You know that I don’t respond to rumors,” he told the Mercury News’ David Pollak. “We are doing our due diligence, and we are looking at every way to improve this hockey team.”
Pollak stil expects McLellan to be back, but “new faces at the assistant level seem likely as the Sharks look to revamp a penalty kill that was a sore point both in the regular season and playoffs.”
It’s been almost a month since the Sharks were eliminated from the playoffs, which is why some are surprised an announcement hasn’t been made yet.
Of course, if McLellan has indeed been told his job is safe, then what does he care? He’d only have a problem if he’s being left twisting in the wind, and according to those who cover the team, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)