May 17, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Tuesday we wrote it “sounds like” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan will be back next season in San Jose.
First we noted a CSNBayArea.com article written by Kevin Kurz, whose conclusion that McLellan would return was “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
Then we referenced an Elliotte Friedman report that GM Doug Wilson had told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
However, Wilson isn’t ready to make an announcement quite yet.
“You know that I don’t respond to rumors,” he told the Mercury News’ David Pollak. “We are doing our due diligence, and we are looking at every way to improve this hockey team.”
Pollak stil expects McLellan to be back, but “new faces at the assistant level seem likely as the Sharks look to revamp a penalty kill that was a sore point both in the regular season and playoffs.”
It’s been almost a month since the Sharks were eliminated from the playoffs, which is why some are surprised an announcement hasn’t been made yet.
Of course, if McLellan has indeed been told his job is safe, then what does he care? He’d only have a problem if he’s being left twisting in the wind, and according to those who cover the team, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series 2-2 against Kings 0
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 48
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner