May 17, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
John Tortorella has been adamant fatigue won’t be an issue for his team. This despite the fact the Rangers’ first two series went seven games, with four of the 14 contests requiring overtime, including one that went to triple OT.
In fact, you could replace the word adamant with indignant.
After the Rangers’ 3-0 victory over the Devils in Game 1, Tortorella told inquiring reporters, “I don’t know where you guys get all this stuff being tired. If we’re tired this time of the year, there’s something the matter. We still have a month to play. You might as well not even ask me questions about being tired. We’re not a tired hockey club. We are ready to play.”
But it didn’t look that way last night. New York spent much of Game 2 in its own end fending off a relentless New Jersey forecheck, eventually losing the contest, 3-2.
Filip Bondy of the New York Daily News called the Rangers “visibly fatigued” and suggested Tortorella “might have underestimated the postseason toll.”
But did you see it that way? Or, was this just one of those games where the more desperate team won?
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)