May 17, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
John Tortorella has been adamant fatigue won’t be an issue for his team. This despite the fact the Rangers’ first two series went seven games, with four of the 14 contests requiring overtime, including one that went to triple OT.
In fact, you could replace the word adamant with indignant.
After the Rangers’ 3-0 victory over the Devils in Game 1, Tortorella told inquiring reporters, “I don’t know where you guys get all this stuff being tired. If we’re tired this time of the year, there’s something the matter. We still have a month to play. You might as well not even ask me questions about being tired. We’re not a tired hockey club. We are ready to play.”
But it didn’t look that way last night. New York spent much of Game 2 in its own end fending off a relentless New Jersey forecheck, eventually losing the contest, 3-2.
Filip Bondy of the New York Daily News called the Rangers “visibly fatigued” and suggested Tortorella “might have underestimated the postseason toll.”
But did you see it that way? Or, was this just one of those games where the more desperate team won?
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)