May 17, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
A defiant Shane Doan spoke with Fox Sports Arizona’s Todd Walsh today in advance of Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, asserting that the Coyotes — down 2-0 after a pair of home losses — were far from finished.
“Everyone’s picking LA to go on now with the situation that we’re in. That’s fine by us,” Doan said. “The experts have not picked us for a long time and continue to pick against us.
“The last three years we’ve found ways to prove them wrong — we’ll be worried when they start picking us.”
Walsh followed with this:
Doan also spoke emotionally about being ejected from Game 2 and having to watch the Coyotes lose 4-0 in front of the Phoenix faithful.
“It was pretty hard, very difficult — one of those things that didn’t seem real,” he explained. “It was so frustrating, but there was nothing to do about it after it happened, just kind of hold onto that and contain it for the next game.”
For the first time in this playoff run, Doan has come under scrutiny. His hit on Trevor Lewis drew negative reviews from a number of pundits and, as the Coyotes’ captain, he’s shouldering the weight of an 0-2 series deficit and a team that lost its composure badly in Game 2.
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett says Doan needs to rally the troops tonight, and believes he’s up to the task.
“We expect him to be better,” Tippett said of Doan. Tippett later added, “He’s our leader. He wants to come back and have a strong game.
“I expect him to come in and have his best game of series.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)