May 17, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
This weekend presents an unprecedented smorgasbord of sports action for Los Angeles, with the NBA’s Lakers and Clippers plus the NHL’s Kings in the playoffs (not to mention the Dodgers and other sports in their normal routines). That will make for a blissful buffet of athletics for sports nuts, but it might also cause some logistical headaches – and not just for traffic cops. Helene Elliott reports that things could get especially weird if Game 4 of the Kings and Phoenix Coyotes series goes deep into overtime on Sunday.
If Kings go past one OT Sunday, Clips likely to be delayed. Staples GM Lee Zeidman says NBA and TNT are discussing scenarios.
It’ll be interesting to see if a taxing weekend of sporting events takes its toll on the ice at the Staples Center. Depending upon how tonight’s Game 3 goes for the Kings and Coyotes, it’s quite possible that Phoenix might need to fight off elimination just hours before the Clippers take on the mighty San Antonio Spurs. That must-win possibility could mean that the Coyotes would fit bitterly to avoid such a fate.
Which might just force Charles Barkley to stay up well beyond his bed time.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)