May 17, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
When Brendan Morrison was traded from Calgary to Chicago at the All-Star break, the 37-year-old center seemed pleased. He was going to a playoff team with a lack of depth down the middle and a slew of talented forwards to play with.
By the end of his tenure as a ‘Hawk, he was anything but pleased.
Morrison was a scratch in 21 of 32 games and skated on Chicago’s fourth line when he did dress. He got in for three of Chicago’s six playoff games — scoring a goal — but suffered more disappointment as the ‘Hawks were bounced by the Coyotes.
Now, he’s facing an offseason full of uncertainty.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Morrison told the Calgary Herald. “This season was a long season as far as trying to get back to full health after knee surgery last year, but I feel good now. I’m going to prepare like I’m going to play and then we will have to make a decision later in the summer.
“I don’t think anything is going to happen early in the summer, but I’m going to prepare.”
Morrison was almost out of the league entirely two years ago before accepting a training camp tryout from Vancouver. After the Canucks let him go Calgary swooped in and inked him to a deal, and the veteran responded by scoring 54 points over 94 games in a season and a half.
He called his tenure in Chicago “a little bit disappointing”, which explains why he’s keeping in shape. Should an NHL team come calling this summer, he’ll entertain the notion of playing — so he can go out on better terms.
Not to say he hasn’t thought about calling it a day.
“If it’s the right situation then we might do it,” Morrison said. “But if it’s not, then it might be it.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)