May 17, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
On Oct. 2 the New York Islanders will play a preseason game at the Barclays Center, the new Brooklyn arena that could become the franchise’s home once its lease at Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.
Key word there: could. The NHL is still hoping a new arena can be built closer to its current rink. But if not, the Barclays Center is an option.
A – Barclays Center
B – Nassau Coliseum
One of the major drawbacks to the Barclays Center is its NHL configuration, which includes just 14,500 seats. (The building was designed for the NBA’s Nets.)
Via Brooklyn Daily, here’s the seating chart for the preseason Islanders game (vs. New Jersey):
So basically the whole left side will be empty.
At first glance, it doesn’t look great to me. But maybe that’ll be part of its charm? It’ll be the horseshoe rink. Sort of like Fenway is the park with the big green wall.
Whatever. I’m just trying to be positive. So sue me.
The good folks at Islanders Point Blank have known about this for longer than us, so click on over to see what they think.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)