May 17, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
On Oct. 2 the New York Islanders will play a preseason game at the Barclays Center, the new Brooklyn arena that could become the franchise’s home once its lease at Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.
Key word there: could. The NHL is still hoping a new arena can be built closer to its current rink. But if not, the Barclays Center is an option.
A – Barclays Center
B – Nassau Coliseum
One of the major drawbacks to the Barclays Center is its NHL configuration, which includes just 14,500 seats. (The building was designed for the NBA’s Nets.)
Via Brooklyn Daily, here’s the seating chart for the preseason Islanders game (vs. New Jersey):
So basically the whole left side will be empty.
At first glance, it doesn’t look great to me. But maybe that’ll be part of its charm? It’ll be the horseshoe rink. Sort of like Fenway is the park with the big green wall.
Whatever. I’m just trying to be positive. So sue me.
The good folks at Islanders Point Blank have known about this for longer than us, so click on over to see what they think.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)