May 17, 2012, 5:53 PM EST
On Oct. 2 the New York Islanders will play a preseason game at the Barclays Center, the new Brooklyn arena that could become the franchise’s home once its lease at Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.
Key word there: could. The NHL is still hoping a new arena can be built closer to its current rink. But if not, the Barclays Center is an option.
A – Barclays Center
B – Nassau Coliseum
One of the major drawbacks to the Barclays Center is its NHL configuration, which includes just 14,500 seats. (The building was designed for the NBA’s Nets.)
Via Brooklyn Daily, here’s the seating chart for the preseason Islanders game (vs. New Jersey):
So basically the whole left side will be empty.
At first glance, it doesn’t look great to me. But maybe that’ll be part of its charm? It’ll be the horseshoe rink. Sort of like Fenway is the park with the big green wall.
Whatever. I’m just trying to be positive. So sue me.
The good folks at Islanders Point Blank have known about this for longer than us, so click on over to see what they think.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)