May 16, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Mike Smith was furious with his fellow Coyotes after last night’s embarrassing 4-0 home loss to the Kings, and he wasn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.
“So far, I don’t think our group has upped our compete level to where it needs to be in the conference finals,” he concluded.
And really, his take was bang-on. Problem is, Smith’s a goalie, and according to the code, goalies aren’t supposed to call out their teammates.
Nor are they supposed to throw their hands up in the air when they get scored on (see image).
Oh, and they’re not supposed to take stupid penalties, something Smith’s done twice in two games (even though the referee gave him a break last night).
Today, Smith’s coach was asked about his goalie’s post-game remarks.
“I think Smitty feels that frustration just like the rest of our players do,” said Dave Tippett. “They care about what we do, they care about winning. When you don’t get the results you want, there’s emotion and frustration that comes into play.”
Smith wasn’t the only Coyote who lost his composure yesterday, so it’s hardly fair to single him out.
It’s amazing how quickly a team can come apart at the seams though.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)