May 16, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Mike Smith was furious with his fellow Coyotes after last night’s embarrassing 4-0 home loss to the Kings, and he wasn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.
“So far, I don’t think our group has upped our compete level to where it needs to be in the conference finals,” he concluded.
And really, his take was bang-on. Problem is, Smith’s a goalie, and according to the code, goalies aren’t supposed to call out their teammates.
Nor are they supposed to throw their hands up in the air when they get scored on (see image).
Oh, and they’re not supposed to take stupid penalties, something Smith’s done twice in two games (even though the referee gave him a break last night).
Today, Smith’s coach was asked about his goalie’s post-game remarks.
“I think Smitty feels that frustration just like the rest of our players do,” said Dave Tippett. “They care about what we do, they care about winning. When you don’t get the results you want, there’s emotion and frustration that comes into play.”
Smith wasn’t the only Coyote who lost his composure yesterday, so it’s hardly fair to single him out.
It’s amazing how quickly a team can come apart at the seams though.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)