May 16, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Mike Smith was furious with his fellow Coyotes after last night’s embarrassing 4-0 home loss to the Kings, and he wasn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.
“So far, I don’t think our group has upped our compete level to where it needs to be in the conference finals,” he concluded.
And really, his take was bang-on. Problem is, Smith’s a goalie, and according to the code, goalies aren’t supposed to call out their teammates.
Nor are they supposed to throw their hands up in the air when they get scored on (see image).
Oh, and they’re not supposed to take stupid penalties, something Smith’s done twice in two games (even though the referee gave him a break last night).
Today, Smith’s coach was asked about his goalie’s post-game remarks.
“I think Smitty feels that frustration just like the rest of our players do,” said Dave Tippett. “They care about what we do, they care about winning. When you don’t get the results you want, there’s emotion and frustration that comes into play.”
Smith wasn’t the only Coyote who lost his composure yesterday, so it’s hardly fair to single him out.
It’s amazing how quickly a team can come apart at the seams though.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)