May 16, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Mike Smith was furious with his fellow Coyotes after last night’s embarrassing 4-0 home loss to the Kings, and he wasn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.
“So far, I don’t think our group has upped our compete level to where it needs to be in the conference finals,” he concluded.
And really, his take was bang-on. Problem is, Smith’s a goalie, and according to the code, goalies aren’t supposed to call out their teammates.
Nor are they supposed to throw their hands up in the air when they get scored on (see image).
Oh, and they’re not supposed to take stupid penalties, something Smith’s done twice in two games (even though the referee gave him a break last night).
Today, Smith’s coach was asked about his goalie’s post-game remarks.
“I think Smitty feels that frustration just like the rest of our players do,” said Dave Tippett. “They care about what we do, they care about winning. When you don’t get the results you want, there’s emotion and frustration that comes into play.”
Smith wasn’t the only Coyote who lost his composure yesterday, so it’s hardly fair to single him out.
It’s amazing how quickly a team can come apart at the seams though.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 1
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 19
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 91
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (92)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)