May 16, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Mike Smith was furious with his fellow Coyotes after last night’s embarrassing 4-0 home loss to the Kings, and he wasn’t afraid to speak his mind about it.
“So far, I don’t think our group has upped our compete level to where it needs to be in the conference finals,” he concluded.
And really, his take was bang-on. Problem is, Smith’s a goalie, and according to the code, goalies aren’t supposed to call out their teammates.
Nor are they supposed to throw their hands up in the air when they get scored on (see image).
Oh, and they’re not supposed to take stupid penalties, something Smith’s done twice in two games (even though the referee gave him a break last night).
Today, Smith’s coach was asked about his goalie’s post-game remarks.
“I think Smitty feels that frustration just like the rest of our players do,” said Dave Tippett. “They care about what we do, they care about winning. When you don’t get the results you want, there’s emotion and frustration that comes into play.”
Smith wasn’t the only Coyote who lost his composure yesterday, so it’s hardly fair to single him out.
It’s amazing how quickly a team can come apart at the seams though.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)