May 16, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
It has already been well established at this point that Rangers coach John Tortorella has become a man of few words. Feel free to insert your own theory as to why that is, but it’s worth noting that a coach can be simultaneously successful and somewhat talkative.
Enter Kings coach Darryl Sutter, a man capable of addressing media questions in moderate detail and still lead his team to victory after victory.
Sutter was asked Wednesday if he agrees with Dustin Penner’s recent remark that the Kings still haven’t played their best game.
“You know, it’s always the best thing about being a player, is if you can say that and you honestly believe that, then that’s a good thing,” Sutter said. “Sometimes it’s talked about, and that’s not the case, where they can actually go to another level.
“I think as a group, clearly, I said it last night, I know everybody thinks that I’m not answering properly sometimes, but we were better in Game 1 than we were in Game 2.”
For those keeping score at home, that was a 78-word answer, which trumps Tortorella’s entire Wednesday press conference by 31 words.
I humbly submit to you that Sutter’s press conference might be more engaging than the ones Tortorella has conducted recently.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)