May 16, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Shanahan announced the decision via Twitter, citing that “Lewis turns just prior to the check” as the reason Doan escaped further punishment (he was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct.)
The hit in question:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Doan has to consider himself fortunate to avoid supplemental discipline. While the hit itself wasn’t deemed suspension-worthy, Doan’s reputation as a repeat offender could’ve cost him dearly.
The 35-year-old was suspended for three games at the start of 2010-11 for a blindside hit to the head of Anaheim’s Dan Sextion. This season, he was fined $2,500 on Mar. 15 after boarding Calgary’s Mark Giorano — five days later, he was suspended three games for elbowing Dallas forward Jamie Benn.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)