May 16, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Shanahan announced the decision via Twitter, citing that “Lewis turns just prior to the check” as the reason Doan escaped further punishment (he was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct.)
The hit in question:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Doan has to consider himself fortunate to avoid supplemental discipline. While the hit itself wasn’t deemed suspension-worthy, Doan’s reputation as a repeat offender could’ve cost him dearly.
The 35-year-old was suspended for three games at the start of 2010-11 for a blindside hit to the head of Anaheim’s Dan Sextion. This season, he was fined $2,500 on Mar. 15 after boarding Calgary’s Mark Giorano — five days later, he was suspended three games for elbowing Dallas forward Jamie Benn.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)