May 16, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Shanahan announced the decision via Twitter, citing that “Lewis turns just prior to the check” as the reason Doan escaped further punishment (he was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct.)
The hit in question:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Doan has to consider himself fortunate to avoid supplemental discipline. While the hit itself wasn’t deemed suspension-worthy, Doan’s reputation as a repeat offender could’ve cost him dearly.
The 35-year-old was suspended for three games at the start of 2010-11 for a blindside hit to the head of Anaheim’s Dan Sextion. This season, he was fined $2,500 on Mar. 15 after boarding Calgary’s Mark Giorano — five days later, he was suspended three games for elbowing Dallas forward Jamie Benn.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)