May 16, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Shanahan announced the decision via Twitter, citing that “Lewis turns just prior to the check” as the reason Doan escaped further punishment (he was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct.)
The hit in question:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Doan has to consider himself fortunate to avoid supplemental discipline. While the hit itself wasn’t deemed suspension-worthy, Doan’s reputation as a repeat offender could’ve cost him dearly.
The 35-year-old was suspended for three games at the start of 2010-11 for a blindside hit to the head of Anaheim’s Dan Sextion. This season, he was fined $2,500 on Mar. 15 after boarding Calgary’s Mark Giorano — five days later, he was suspended three games for elbowing Dallas forward Jamie Benn.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 7
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 15
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28