May 16, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Shanahan announced the decision via Twitter, citing that “Lewis turns just prior to the check” as the reason Doan escaped further punishment (he was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct.)
The hit in question:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Doan has to consider himself fortunate to avoid supplemental discipline. While the hit itself wasn’t deemed suspension-worthy, Doan’s reputation as a repeat offender could’ve cost him dearly.
The 35-year-old was suspended for three games at the start of 2010-11 for a blindside hit to the head of Anaheim’s Dan Sextion. This season, he was fined $2,500 on Mar. 15 after boarding Calgary’s Mark Giorano — five days later, he was suspended three games for elbowing Dallas forward Jamie Benn.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 24
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8