May 16, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
This might sound ominous, but don’t worry, it’s just part of the process.
The Sports Business Journal is reporting that the NHL has provided the NHLPA notice that the league wants to “terminate and/or modify” the collective bargaining agreement that expires Sept. 15.
Again, this was to be expected.
Sports law analyst Eric Macramalla explains via Twitter: “If NHL or PA did not provide notice then CBA would have remained in place for another year as per Article 3.1 of CBA; this is not a surprise.”
What we don’t know is how much modifying the NHL wants to do. Will it aggressively pursue a significant reduction in the players’ share of revenue (currently 57%)?
Personally I’m optimistic a deal will get done. Worst-case scenario a few games are lost. There’s too much money being made for a work stoppage to be worth the trouble.
But hey, I’ve been wrong before. (Although technically the Coyotes could still beat the Kings in 6.)
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness