May 16, 2012, 9:36 AM EDT
The Penguins’ offseason could be a very interesting one and general manager Ray Shero would love to keep the drama level low. With rumors swirling around about Jordan Staal perhaps wanting to blossom elsewhere (Carolina, perhaps?) and one more year left on his and Sidney Crosby‘s contracts, Shero knows he’s got some work to do.
Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette talks to Shero about what his plans are for the summer and it doesn’t sound like trades are on his mind at all. Instead, he’d like to keep Crosby, Staal, and Evgeni Malkin (two years left on his deal) around for a while.
“I’d like to do that, if possible,” he said. “We’re looking at hopefully getting extensions with [Crosby and Staal].”
While it is conceivable that Staal, the team’s No. 3 center, might want to play elsewhere so he can fill a more offense-oriented role, he apparently has not said anything of the sort to the Penguins. Asked if any of the top three centers had expressed a desire to move, Shero responded, “Absolutely not.”
Wanting to do it and being able to do it in the salary cap world are two different things, obviously, but Shero is going to have to be shrewd if all three players are going to stay in Pittsburgh. The only guy immune from trade rumors is Crosby as even Malkin’s name was thrown around by TSN’s Darren Dreger as a trade possibility should the Pens want to keep Staal.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 0
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 2
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)