May 16, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
Chris Kreider is on the verge of history.
The first player in 25 years to win an NCAA title and make his NHL debut in the playoffs in the same year (the other: Tony Hrkac, for North Dakota and St. Louis in 1987), Kreider’s now in line for another first.
More, from Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times:
With his goal in Game 1 Monday, the Rangers rookie Chris Kreider tied an NHL record for most playoff goals scored in a single postseason by a player who has not yet skated in a regular-season game.
Kreider’s goal, which gave the Rangers a 2-0 lead in their 3-0 victory over the Devils, was his third of the playoffs. That tied him atop this peculiar category with Ray Cote of the 1983 Edmonton Oilers and George McPhee of the 1983 Rangers – now the general manager of the Washington Capitals, whom Kreider scored a goal against in the second round.
Kreider was not aware of the distinction when asked about it Wednesday before Game 2 at the Garden.
“That’s kind of obscure,” he said. “I don’t have a lot of thoughts about it.”
If/when Kreider gets goal No. 4, he’ll break free of Cote and McPhee and join even more elite company. Only one other player — Eddie Mazur of the Montreal Canadiens — scored four goals before playing a regular season game.
The big difference, of course, is that Mazur’s four goals came over the span of three postseasons (1951-53) whereas Kreider’s would come in a single postseason.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Tried to sell it. Didn’t work.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Canucks’ captain scores twice. Where was that in the playoffs?
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
May 19, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
A pair of young players led the way.
May 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Their youthful trio will play once again.
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 13
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles