May 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EST
Jason Garrison says playing for his hometown Canucks would be a dream come true.
Will the dream become a reality?
That’s one of the things the Panthers defenseman discussed with a Vancouver-area radio station today in regards to his playing future.
Garrison, 27, enjoyed a breakout campaign in 2011-12. He scored 16 goals — a Florida franchise record for defensemen, third-most in the NHL — and a career-high 33 points while playing over 23 minutes a night.
That’s set him up for a big raise on the $675,000 he made last season, and he said he’d love to make that money playing in Vancouver.
From CKWX News 1130 (via Twitter):
– Garrison, a native of White Rock (Vancouver suburb), said he grew up watching the Canucks and it would be a thrill to play for his hometown team.
– Garrison said signing with Canucks would be a dream come true, but will first try to re-up with Florida.
– He wants to return to the Panthers, but his agent hasn’t spoken to team brass lately.
It’ll be interesting to see how Garrison’s situation plays out.
If he goes to free agency on July 1, he’ll be at the top of a free agent defenseman class that thins out after Ryan Suter. Of the under-30 set, Garrison is one of the most intriguing options along with Philly’s Matt Carle (27) and Washington’s Dennis Wideman (29).
Ergo, you can bet there’ll be suitors for his services.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)