May 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
Jason Garrison says playing for his hometown Canucks would be a dream come true.
Will the dream become a reality?
That’s one of the things the Panthers defenseman discussed with a Vancouver-area radio station today in regards to his playing future.
Garrison, 27, enjoyed a breakout campaign in 2011-12. He scored 16 goals — a Florida franchise record for defensemen, third-most in the NHL — and a career-high 33 points while playing over 23 minutes a night.
That’s set him up for a big raise on the $675,000 he made last season, and he said he’d love to make that money playing in Vancouver.
From CKWX News 1130 (via Twitter):
– Garrison, a native of White Rock (Vancouver suburb), said he grew up watching the Canucks and it would be a thrill to play for his hometown team.
– Garrison said signing with Canucks would be a dream come true, but will first try to re-up with Florida.
– He wants to return to the Panthers, but his agent hasn’t spoken to team brass lately.
It’ll be interesting to see how Garrison’s situation plays out.
If he goes to free agency on July 1, he’ll be at the top of a free agent defenseman class that thins out after Ryan Suter. Of the under-30 set, Garrison is one of the most intriguing options along with Philly’s Matt Carle (27) and Washington’s Dennis Wideman (29).
Ergo, you can bet there’ll be suitors for his services.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 3
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 3
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 3
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)