May 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
Jason Garrison says playing for his hometown Canucks would be a dream come true.
Will the dream become a reality?
That’s one of the things the Panthers defenseman discussed with a Vancouver-area radio station today in regards to his playing future.
Garrison, 27, enjoyed a breakout campaign in 2011-12. He scored 16 goals — a Florida franchise record for defensemen, third-most in the NHL — and a career-high 33 points while playing over 23 minutes a night.
That’s set him up for a big raise on the $675,000 he made last season, and he said he’d love to make that money playing in Vancouver.
From CKWX News 1130 (via Twitter):
— Garrison, a native of White Rock (Vancouver suburb), said he grew up watching the Canucks and it would be a thrill to play for his hometown team.
— Garrison said signing with Canucks would be a dream come true, but will first try to re-up with Florida.
— He wants to return to the Panthers, but his agent hasn’t spoken to team brass lately.
It’ll be interesting to see how Garrison’s situation plays out.
If he goes to free agency on July 1, he’ll be at the top of a free agent defenseman class that thins out after Ryan Suter. Of the under-30 set, Garrison is one of the most intriguing options along with Philly’s Matt Carle (27) and Washington’s Dennis Wideman (29).
Ergo, you can bet there’ll be suitors for his services.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)