May 16, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
It’s hard to say if this is good or bad news for Seattle hockey fans, but here it is anyway – the city announced today that it’s reached an agreement with hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen to build an arena in hopes of landing an NBA team. However, unlike before, an NHL franchise is no longer required as a second tenant for construction to start.
From the Associated Press:
Only an NBA team, with a non-relocation agreement signed, is needed to begin construction on the proposed 18,500-seat facility.
The city/county investment in the project would be capped at $200 million if both an NBA and NHL team are acquired and would be capped at $120 million if it’s only an NBA team. The agreement calls for $290 million in private investment.
Now, the pessimist would say this is proof there isn’t an NHL team available for relocation, or else they wouldn’t have had to go this route.
But the optimist would say, at least a building will be waiting and ready if if an NHL franchise becomes available in the future. (Assuming an NBA team is relocated first.)
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)