May 16, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
What would an outdoor hockey game be without beer? In the case of the 2013 NHL Winter Classic at the University of Michigan, it would be…canceled.
For this reason, legislation has been introduced in the state House that would grant a special liquor license for the Jan. 1 game at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.
From The Detroit News:
The House Regulatory Reform Committee will hold a hearing Wednesday morning on the legislation, which school officials say is necessary because they don’t have a temporary liquor license large enough to handle the number of fans expected to pack the 109,901-seat stadium.
“It’s just for this one event and it’s because the NHL is renting the facility,” school spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said.
The proposed law would make the special liquor license good for 30 days to also accommodate festivities leading up to the Winter Classic, Fitzgerald said.
Fitzgerald expects the bill to be approved, according to AnnArbor.com.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)