May 16, 2012, 10:50 AM EST
Martin Hanzal will meet with the NHL today to discuss his push from behind on Kings forward Dustin Brown. Now, it’ll be up to Brendan Shanahan to determine if Hanzal sits for Game 3 and possibly more.
Hanzal’s hit came in the third period of last night’s chippy Game 2 with the Kings already ahead 3-0. Jeff Carter would score his hat trick goal during the five-minute major. Hanzal was also given a game misconduct on the play. Brown, meanwhile, was seemingly uninjured on the play and returned immediately.
As we’ve seen with other plays in the past, injury has played a factor in determining the severity of punishment. Considering how reckless this hit was, injury or not, Hanzal appears to be a candidate to sit for one game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 17
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)