May 16, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
Martin Hanzal will meet with the NHL today to discuss his push from behind on Kings forward Dustin Brown. Now, it’ll be up to Brendan Shanahan to determine if Hanzal sits for Game 3 and possibly more.
Hanzal’s hit came in the third period of last night’s chippy Game 2 with the Kings already ahead 3-0. Jeff Carter would score his hat trick goal during the five-minute major. Hanzal was also given a game misconduct on the play. Brown, meanwhile, was seemingly uninjured on the play and returned immediately.
As we’ve seen with other plays in the past, injury has played a factor in determining the severity of punishment. Considering how reckless this hit was, injury or not, Hanzal appears to be a candidate to sit for one game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)