May 16, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
Martin Hanzal will meet with the NHL today to discuss his push from behind on Kings forward Dustin Brown. Now, it’ll be up to Brendan Shanahan to determine if Hanzal sits for Game 3 and possibly more.
Hanzal’s hit came in the third period of last night’s chippy Game 2 with the Kings already ahead 3-0. Jeff Carter would score his hat trick goal during the five-minute major. Hanzal was also given a game misconduct on the play. Brown, meanwhile, was seemingly uninjured on the play and returned immediately.
As we’ve seen with other plays in the past, injury has played a factor in determining the severity of punishment. Considering how reckless this hit was, injury or not, Hanzal appears to be a candidate to sit for one game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)