May 16, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
Martin Hanzal will meet with the NHL today to discuss his push from behind on Kings forward Dustin Brown. Now, it’ll be up to Brendan Shanahan to determine if Hanzal sits for Game 3 and possibly more.
Hanzal’s hit came in the third period of last night’s chippy Game 2 with the Kings already ahead 3-0. Jeff Carter would score his hat trick goal during the five-minute major. Hanzal was also given a game misconduct on the play. Brown, meanwhile, was seemingly uninjured on the play and returned immediately.
As we’ve seen with other plays in the past, injury has played a factor in determining the severity of punishment. Considering how reckless this hit was, injury or not, Hanzal appears to be a candidate to sit for one game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 9
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 86
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (86)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)