May 16, 2012, 12:21 AM EDT
Obvious comment time: Game 2 was good to Jeff Carter and the playoffs have been great to the Los Angeles Kings. In fact, the team and the player made a little history tonight.
Carter came into Tuesday with one goal but generated a hat trick, the first playoff one of his NHL career. That wasn’t the only thing historic about it, either, as Frank Seravalli points out that it was the Kings’ first playoff hat trick since Wayne Gretzky scored one in 1993. The always-fun Kings Twitter feed points out that Carter now has more goals in the Western Conference finals (three) than the Coyotes (two).
Meanwhile, the Kings’ road prowess continues. They’re now 7-0 on the road in this year’s playoffs and are 9-0 since 2011, which ties the New York Islanders’ NHL record. Lou Korac points out that the Kings haven’t been down in a game since Game 1 … of the St. Louis Blues series. That’s not a record, but it is a jaw-dropper.
That’s impressive stuff, but the Kings don’t have to worry that much about the series shifting to the Staples Center, where they’re still a respectable 3-1 this year. Perhaps they can continue to advance the subjective and not-really-stats-based argument that they might be the best eighth seed in NHL history.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 5
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 26
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)