May 16, 2012, 12:21 AM EST
Obvious comment time: Game 2 was good to Jeff Carter and the playoffs have been great to the Los Angeles Kings. In fact, the team and the player made a little history tonight.
Carter came into Tuesday with one goal but generated a hat trick, the first playoff one of his NHL career. That wasn’t the only thing historic about it, either, as Frank Seravalli points out that it was the Kings’ first playoff hat trick since Wayne Gretzky scored one in 1993. The always-fun Kings Twitter feed points out that Carter now has more goals in the Western Conference finals (three) than the Coyotes (two).
Meanwhile, the Kings’ road prowess continues. They’re now 7-0 on the road in this year’s playoffs and are 9-0 since 2011, which ties the New York Islanders’ NHL record. Lou Korac points out that the Kings haven’t been down in a game since Game 1 … of the St. Louis Blues series. That’s not a record, but it is a jaw-dropper.
That’s impressive stuff, but the Kings don’t have to worry that much about the series shifting to the Staples Center, where they’re still a respectable 3-1 this year. Perhaps they can continue to advance the subjective and not-really-stats-based argument that they might be the best eighth seed in NHL history.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)