May 16, 2012, 11:39 PM EST
Marian Gaborik made a bad clearing attempt late in the second period of Wednesday’s game and it led to the New Jersey Devils’ tying goal. The Devils went on to record a 3-2 victory and tie the series at 1-1.
Gaborik didn’t get a shift in the third period until there was just 8:40 remaining. He was even held off the ice during a Rangers’ power play. Rangers coach John Tortorella must have been pretty unhappy.
“You’ll have to ask him (Tortorella),” Gaborik suggested.
Still, it seems reasonable to assume that the two events were related. Gaborik was limited to 15:21 minutes of playing time overall, which is a new low for him in the 2012 postseason.
You have to wonder if that was the right time to send Gaborik a message. He’s one of the team’s best offensive weapons and to bench him for a critical part of a one-goal game is not an easy thing to do. Still, Tortorella’s decision might help the team in the long run.
For now though, the Rangers have their work cut out for them as the series heads to New Jersey.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)