May 16, 2012, 11:39 PM EST
Marian Gaborik made a bad clearing attempt late in the second period of Wednesday’s game and it led to the New Jersey Devils’ tying goal. The Devils went on to record a 3-2 victory and tie the series at 1-1.
Gaborik didn’t get a shift in the third period until there was just 8:40 remaining. He was even held off the ice during a Rangers’ power play. Rangers coach John Tortorella must have been pretty unhappy.
“You’ll have to ask him (Tortorella),” Gaborik suggested.
Still, it seems reasonable to assume that the two events were related. Gaborik was limited to 15:21 minutes of playing time overall, which is a new low for him in the 2012 postseason.
You have to wonder if that was the right time to send Gaborik a message. He’s one of the team’s best offensive weapons and to bench him for a critical part of a one-goal game is not an easy thing to do. Still, Tortorella’s decision might help the team in the long run.
For now though, the Rangers have their work cut out for them as the series heads to New Jersey.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)