May 16, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Marian Gaborik made a bad clearing attempt late in the second period of Wednesday’s game and it led to the New Jersey Devils’ tying goal. The Devils went on to record a 3-2 victory and tie the series at 1-1.
Gaborik didn’t get a shift in the third period until there was just 8:40 remaining. He was even held off the ice during a Rangers’ power play. Rangers coach John Tortorella must have been pretty unhappy.
“You’ll have to ask him (Tortorella),” Gaborik suggested.
Still, it seems reasonable to assume that the two events were related. Gaborik was limited to 15:21 minutes of playing time overall, which is a new low for him in the 2012 postseason.
You have to wonder if that was the right time to send Gaborik a message. He’s one of the team’s best offensive weapons and to bench him for a critical part of a one-goal game is not an easy thing to do. Still, Tortorella’s decision might help the team in the long run.
For now though, the Rangers have their work cut out for them as the series heads to New Jersey.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 6
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 16
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 9
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners