May 16, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur‘s incredible diving third period save on Marc Staal in Game 1 still has people amazed. After all, seeing a legendary future Hall-of-Fame goalie making a save like the one’s he did in his prime makes for incredible drama. What you may not have known is that there was a bit of legendary influence on it as well.
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne spoke with Danny Picard on his show “I’m Just Sayin’” and tells us about how Brodeur was able to get himself free to dive across the crease (jump to 35:30 mark).
“He told me he dropped his stick on purpose because when you drop your stick you feel free as a goalie where you can just dive and the stick’s not anchoring you down,” Fayne said.
Martin Brodeur taking a nod from Dominik Hasek in his late years? Apparently an old dog can learn new tricks. There’s a reason why Brodeur is still performing as well as he is at age 40.
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 32
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 54
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 29
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings