May 16, 2012, 1:15 AM EST
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan wasn’t exactly verbose when answering questions about his controversial boarding hit on Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis, but here’s his explanation via Sarah McLellan.
“He turns; he looks right at me,” Doan said. “I didn’t even look at him again. I was looking at the puck because I was trying to poke the puck free. He turns away as I’m coming in.”
Head coach Dave Tippett insisted that he’s not going to worry about discipline – for Doan, Martin Hanzal or anyone else – but instead the 2-0 deficit his team finds itself in. Still, he did have a take on the Doan hit.
“[It happened in] a dangerous place but a player can’t put himself in that position either,” Tippett said. “I’m not saying it was a good hit or a bad hit, but anybody who’s played the game when you’re in that position and a guy is beside you then he turns his back to you, you can’t stop. You can’t stop, and that’s what I saw with that hit.”
Ultimately, it all comes down to what Brendan Shanahan & Co. “saw” regarding that hit, though.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)