May 16, 2012, 1:15 AM EST
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan wasn’t exactly verbose when answering questions about his controversial boarding hit on Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis, but here’s his explanation via Sarah McLellan.
“He turns; he looks right at me,” Doan said. “I didn’t even look at him again. I was looking at the puck because I was trying to poke the puck free. He turns away as I’m coming in.”
Head coach Dave Tippett insisted that he’s not going to worry about discipline – for Doan, Martin Hanzal or anyone else – but instead the 2-0 deficit his team finds itself in. Still, he did have a take on the Doan hit.
“[It happened in] a dangerous place but a player can’t put himself in that position either,” Tippett said. “I’m not saying it was a good hit or a bad hit, but anybody who’s played the game when you’re in that position and a guy is beside you then he turns his back to you, you can’t stop. You can’t stop, and that’s what I saw with that hit.”
Ultimately, it all comes down to what Brendan Shanahan & Co. “saw” regarding that hit, though.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)