May 16, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan wasn’t exactly verbose when answering questions about his controversial boarding hit on Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis, but here’s his explanation via Sarah McLellan.
“He turns; he looks right at me,” Doan said. “I didn’t even look at him again. I was looking at the puck because I was trying to poke the puck free. He turns away as I’m coming in.”
Head coach Dave Tippett insisted that he’s not going to worry about discipline – for Doan, Martin Hanzal or anyone else – but instead the 2-0 deficit his team finds itself in. Still, he did have a take on the Doan hit.
“[It happened in] a dangerous place but a player can’t put himself in that position either,” Tippett said. “I’m not saying it was a good hit or a bad hit, but anybody who’s played the game when you’re in that position and a guy is beside you then he turns his back to you, you can’t stop. You can’t stop, and that’s what I saw with that hit.”
Ultimately, it all comes down to what Brendan Shanahan & Co. “saw” regarding that hit, though.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)