May 16, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan wasn’t exactly verbose when answering questions about his controversial boarding hit on Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis, but here’s his explanation via Sarah McLellan.
“He turns; he looks right at me,” Doan said. “I didn’t even look at him again. I was looking at the puck because I was trying to poke the puck free. He turns away as I’m coming in.”
Head coach Dave Tippett insisted that he’s not going to worry about discipline – for Doan, Martin Hanzal or anyone else – but instead the 2-0 deficit his team finds itself in. Still, he did have a take on the Doan hit.
“[It happened in] a dangerous place but a player can’t put himself in that position either,” Tippett said. “I’m not saying it was a good hit or a bad hit, but anybody who’s played the game when you’re in that position and a guy is beside you then he turns his back to you, you can’t stop. You can’t stop, and that’s what I saw with that hit.”
Ultimately, it all comes down to what Brendan Shanahan & Co. “saw” regarding that hit, though.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)