May 16, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
The wings of change have been blowing through Washington ever since Saturday’s season-ending loss.
Today, the focus turned on soon-to-be-UFA defenseman Dennis Wideman — and, for once, the winds stopped blowing.
Okay, they mellowed to a slight breeze.
“Obviously, I like it here. I’ve had a lot of fun here in the last year,” Wideman told the Washington Post. “I like where we’re going, the core group of guys is really, really good.
“So why not? I’d love to be back.”
The 2011-12 campaign was a tale of two Widemans. There was the Wideman that looked great during the regular season, finishing with 46 points (10th among NHL defensemen) and earning his first-ever All-Star berth.
There was also the Wideman that struggled throughout the postseason, finishing a team-worst minus-7 with just three points (no goals) in 14 games.
As such, it’s tough to decipher 1) what Wideman’s worth on the open market, and 2) what the Caps would be willing to pay him.
For No. 1, consider his last deal was a four-year, $15.75 million ($3.94 annually) contract. He’s in line for a raise, especially given the dearth of defensemen projected to be available on July 1.
For No. 2, consider Washington’s current setup. John Carlson and Mike Green are both impending RFAs and Carlson will be in line for a big raise on the $843,833 he made this year. Roman Hamrlik, Tom Poti, Jeff Schultz, John Erskine and Dmitry Orlov are all under contract for next year and prospect Tomas Kundratek could make a play for the NHL next season.
From a purely financial standpoint, Wideman could be the odd man out.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)