Brodeur’s comments were “off the cuff,” doesn’t really think Devils should shoot at Rangers’ heads

May 16, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT

Martin Brodeur Getty Images

First off, Martin Brodeur was joking.

Through a team spokesman, he said his comments were “off the cuff.”

And according to the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox, whose dateline says New York, “Anybody who was actually there listening would know” Brodeur wasn’t being serious.

So now that you know Brodeur was kidding, you probably want to know what he said.

When asked Monday about the Rangers’ effective shot-blocking, Brodeur remarked, “We might be able to hurt a few guys [by] hitting one-timers in the foot and their head or something.”

Gasp.

Not surprisingly, Devils skaters denied they’d ever do such a thing.

“That’s a little hard-core,” Dainius Zubrus said, as reported by the New York Post, the paper that took Brodeur’s comment and ran with it. “I haven’t done that yet in my career, actually shoot at anybody’s face. I’m not really planning on it. I think there are still lanes to get it through. Sometimes the puck gets away, and people get hit. But honestly, I’ve never aimed at anybody’s head.”

Of course, the Post never bothered to follow up with Brodeur, despite ample opportunity to do so, says The Record’s Tom Gulitti.

So it sounds like this was just The Post being The Post.

But we might as well ask it anyway – would you do what Brodeur was joking about? Not shooting at somebody’s head; that’s dumb. But how about their foot? Jay Beagle broke his foot blocking a shot in Game 5 of the Capitals-Rangers series, and a Dale Hunter-coached team can’t be expected to win without Jay Beagle. And hey, if a guy’s going to willfully put himself in the way of your shot…

For the record, I’d probably just try to get the shot through. Don’t need it bouncing off a foot and starting a counterattack the other way.

Oh, and you shouldn’t intentionally injure someone. That too.

1. govtminion - May 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The important question: Did he put a bounty down on any of the Rangers’ players getting hurt from one of those shots? Because that would be really bad, right?

• sheapuck - May 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Joe McGrath says you can’t put a bounty on a man’s head

2. jkay1818 - May 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

man, Marty has been yapping a lot since before the series started up until now, and it’s only game 2.

• hockeyflow33 - May 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM

He’s not yapping, he’s asked questions at press conferences and gives answers

• anthonykornheiser - May 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

actually things like hating manhattan, disliking the rangers since 92 werent asked. Neither was that dumb comment about people blocking lundqvists shots for him.

3. cuffhimbanano - May 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM

If a guy is laying down then he’s willingly put himself in harms way. Nothing wrong with aiming at the head in that case. If a baseball hitter is standing over the plate is the pitcher no longer allowed to throw high and tight?
    Stay on your blades, otherwise I have no sympathy for you if a puck hits your face.

• danaking - May 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

There is a long established tradition in baseball that second basemen and shortstops may throw at a runner’s head to get him down when he’s breaking up a double play. I’m sure no one intends to hurt anyone, but it does keep his head down.

I’m not in favor of intentionally hurting anyone, either, but if I take a shot and you willfully put your foot or face in front of it, who’s at fault there? Is it my job to shoot around you?

• kitshky - May 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Exactly..

You’re there to either impede my shooting lane, view of the net, or the puck itself…why else are you standing between me and the goal. I’m not tryin to hurt anyone, but I will crank it at you in a heartbeat.

There’s a price to pay for playing between a shooter and the net, and I got no problem making sure people pay…

4. giantfootballs - May 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Uncle Daddy has always hated the Rangers. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was serious. He’s a jerk!

5. mclovinhockey - May 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Trying to hurt people or aiming at the head In any sport is classless. If its an accident that’s one thing but some of the people here should never play sports

6. jerryball22 - May 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM

if his guys can’t hit the net, what makes anyone think they can hit something much smaller like a foot or the head?

7. kitshky - May 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Yes. Absolutely.

Played D my whole and I’ve never aimed for someone’s head …but I’ve certainly cranked it at someone in front of the net. You gonna stand (or lay) there you’re gonna get hit.

8. stakex - May 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hey it might be “dirty”…. but if you shoot high on a guy going down to block a shot, hes more likely to think twice about it next time. That doesn’t mean aim at thier head or anything, but theres nothing wrong with making someone pay for blocking a shot.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches