May 16, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
First off, Martin Brodeur was joking.
Through a team spokesman, he said his comments were “off the cuff.”
And according to the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox, whose dateline says New York, “Anybody who was actually there listening would know” Brodeur wasn’t being serious.
So now that you know Brodeur was kidding, you probably want to know what he said.
When asked Monday about the Rangers’ effective shot-blocking, Brodeur remarked, “We might be able to hurt a few guys [by] hitting one-timers in the foot and their head or something.”
Not surprisingly, Devils skaters denied they’d ever do such a thing.
“That’s a little hard-core,” Dainius Zubrus said, as reported by the New York Post, the paper that took Brodeur’s comment and ran with it. “I haven’t done that yet in my career, actually shoot at anybody’s face. I’m not really planning on it. I think there are still lanes to get it through. Sometimes the puck gets away, and people get hit. But honestly, I’ve never aimed at anybody’s head.”
Of course, the Post never bothered to follow up with Brodeur, despite ample opportunity to do so, says The Record’s Tom Gulitti.
So it sounds like this was just The Post being The Post.
But we might as well ask it anyway – would you do what Brodeur was joking about? Not shooting at somebody’s head; that’s dumb. But how about their foot? Jay Beagle broke his foot blocking a shot in Game 5 of the Capitals-Rangers series, and a Dale Hunter-coached team can’t be expected to win without Jay Beagle. And hey, if a guy’s going to willfully put himself in the way of your shot…
For the record, I’d probably just try to get the shot through. Don’t need it bouncing off a foot and starting a counterattack the other way.
Oh, and you shouldn’t intentionally injure someone. That too.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal