May 16, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
First off, Martin Brodeur was joking.
Through a team spokesman, he said his comments were “off the cuff.”
And according to the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox, whose dateline says New York, “Anybody who was actually there listening would know” Brodeur wasn’t being serious.
So now that you know Brodeur was kidding, you probably want to know what he said.
When asked Monday about the Rangers’ effective shot-blocking, Brodeur remarked, “We might be able to hurt a few guys [by] hitting one-timers in the foot and their head or something.”
Not surprisingly, Devils skaters denied they’d ever do such a thing.
“That’s a little hard-core,” Dainius Zubrus said, as reported by the New York Post, the paper that took Brodeur’s comment and ran with it. “I haven’t done that yet in my career, actually shoot at anybody’s face. I’m not really planning on it. I think there are still lanes to get it through. Sometimes the puck gets away, and people get hit. But honestly, I’ve never aimed at anybody’s head.”
Of course, the Post never bothered to follow up with Brodeur, despite ample opportunity to do so, says The Record’s Tom Gulitti.
So it sounds like this was just The Post being The Post.
But we might as well ask it anyway – would you do what Brodeur was joking about? Not shooting at somebody’s head; that’s dumb. But how about their foot? Jay Beagle broke his foot blocking a shot in Game 5 of the Capitals-Rangers series, and a Dale Hunter-coached team can’t be expected to win without Jay Beagle. And hey, if a guy’s going to willfully put himself in the way of your shot…
For the record, I’d probably just try to get the shot through. Don’t need it bouncing off a foot and starting a counterattack the other way.
Oh, and you shouldn’t intentionally injure someone. That too.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)