May 16, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT
Folks hoping Daniel Alfredsson will play one more year in Ottawa got some good news on Wednesday.
In speaking with the Ottawa Citizen, Alfredsson said he has no intentions of returning to play in his native Sweden or entering the coaching ranks anytime soon (he’d entertained the coaching idea yesterday.)
“I don’t see myself coaching too soon,” he explained. “I think it takes even more time at the rink that it does as a player to prepare. Right now, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”
Alfie then went on to deep-six the idea of playing at home, saying “I won’t play in the Swedish league again.”
There was a notion Alfie would go the route of Borje Salming, Markus Naslund and Tomas Sandstrom by finishing his career where it began — in the Swedish Elite League. Alfredsson is a product of Vastra Frolunda HC (he also played there during the 2004-05 lockout,) a team that features a wide range of ex-NHLers: PJ Axelsson, Joel Lundqvist, Christian Backman and Fredrik Sjostrom.
Just one problem. There’s no motivation for him to play there.
“You know, if you go back to the Swedish league and try to play when you’re not motivated, it’s even worse, because it’s more skating and it’s even harder,” Alfredsson explained.
“So I will retire as an Ottawa Senator.”
Which leaves the big question — will he retire an Ottawa Senator now…or later?
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 87
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)