May 16, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT
Folks hoping Daniel Alfredsson will play one more year in Ottawa got some good news on Wednesday.
In speaking with the Ottawa Citizen, Alfredsson said he has no intentions of returning to play in his native Sweden or entering the coaching ranks anytime soon (he’d entertained the coaching idea yesterday.)
“I don’t see myself coaching too soon,” he explained. “I think it takes even more time at the rink that it does as a player to prepare. Right now, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”
Alfie then went on to deep-six the idea of playing at home, saying “I won’t play in the Swedish league again.”
There was a notion Alfie would go the route of Borje Salming, Markus Naslund and Tomas Sandstrom by finishing his career where it began — in the Swedish Elite League. Alfredsson is a product of Vastra Frolunda HC (he also played there during the 2004-05 lockout,) a team that features a wide range of ex-NHLers: PJ Axelsson, Joel Lundqvist, Christian Backman and Fredrik Sjostrom.
Just one problem. There’s no motivation for him to play there.
“You know, if you go back to the Swedish league and try to play when you’re not motivated, it’s even worse, because it’s more skating and it’s even harder,” Alfredsson explained.
“So I will retire as an Ottawa Senator.”
Which leaves the big question — will he retire an Ottawa Senator now…or later?
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)