May 16, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT
Folks hoping Daniel Alfredsson will play one more year in Ottawa got some good news on Wednesday.
In speaking with the Ottawa Citizen, Alfredsson said he has no intentions of returning to play in his native Sweden or entering the coaching ranks anytime soon (he’d entertained the coaching idea yesterday.)
“I don’t see myself coaching too soon,” he explained. “I think it takes even more time at the rink that it does as a player to prepare. Right now, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”
Alfie then went on to deep-six the idea of playing at home, saying “I won’t play in the Swedish league again.”
There was a notion Alfie would go the route of Borje Salming, Markus Naslund and Tomas Sandstrom by finishing his career where it began — in the Swedish Elite League. Alfredsson is a product of Vastra Frolunda HC (he also played there during the 2004-05 lockout,) a team that features a wide range of ex-NHLers: PJ Axelsson, Joel Lundqvist, Christian Backman and Fredrik Sjostrom.
Just one problem. There’s no motivation for him to play there.
“You know, if you go back to the Swedish league and try to play when you’re not motivated, it’s even worse, because it’s more skating and it’s even harder,” Alfredsson explained.
“So I will retire as an Ottawa Senator.”
Which leaves the big question — will he retire an Ottawa Senator now…or later?
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)