May 16, 2012, 12:44 PM EST
Folks hoping Daniel Alfredsson will play one more year in Ottawa got some good news on Wednesday.
In speaking with the Ottawa Citizen, Alfredsson said he has no intentions of returning to play in his native Sweden or entering the coaching ranks anytime soon (he’d entertained the coaching idea yesterday.)
“I don’t see myself coaching too soon,” he explained. “I think it takes even more time at the rink that it does as a player to prepare. Right now, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”
Alfie then went on to deep-six the idea of playing at home, saying “I won’t play in the Swedish league again.”
There was a notion Alfie would go the route of Borje Salming, Markus Naslund and Tomas Sandstrom by finishing his career where it began — in the Swedish Elite League. Alfredsson is a product of Vastra Frolunda HC (he also played there during the 2004-05 lockout,) a team that features a wide range of ex-NHLers: PJ Axelsson, Joel Lundqvist, Christian Backman and Fredrik Sjostrom.
Just one problem. There’s no motivation for him to play there.
“You know, if you go back to the Swedish league and try to play when you’re not motivated, it’s even worse, because it’s more skating and it’s even harder,” Alfredsson explained.
“So I will retire as an Ottawa Senator.”
Which leaves the big question — will he retire an Ottawa Senator now…or later?
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 34
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)