May 16, 2012, 12:44 PM EST
Folks hoping Daniel Alfredsson will play one more year in Ottawa got some good news on Wednesday.
In speaking with the Ottawa Citizen, Alfredsson said he has no intentions of returning to play in his native Sweden or entering the coaching ranks anytime soon (he’d entertained the coaching idea yesterday.)
“I don’t see myself coaching too soon,” he explained. “I think it takes even more time at the rink that it does as a player to prepare. Right now, I don’t think I’m ready for that.”
Alfie then went on to deep-six the idea of playing at home, saying “I won’t play in the Swedish league again.”
There was a notion Alfie would go the route of Borje Salming, Markus Naslund and Tomas Sandstrom by finishing his career where it began — in the Swedish Elite League. Alfredsson is a product of Vastra Frolunda HC (he also played there during the 2004-05 lockout,) a team that features a wide range of ex-NHLers: PJ Axelsson, Joel Lundqvist, Christian Backman and Fredrik Sjostrom.
Just one problem. There’s no motivation for him to play there.
“You know, if you go back to the Swedish league and try to play when you’re not motivated, it’s even worse, because it’s more skating and it’s even harder,” Alfredsson explained.
“So I will retire as an Ottawa Senator.”
Which leaves the big question — will he retire an Ottawa Senator now…or later?
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)