May 16, 2012, 10:33 AM EST
Alexander Semin‘s agent Mark Gandler has already made a name for himself this offseason by saying Semin’s career in Washington is likely over with. While he’s tried to clarify his initial statements, he seems to be going about selling his client in odd ways.
Gandler spoke with Grant Paulsen and Sky Kerstein on DC radio station 106.7 The Fan FM and managed to make Semin’s case to be signed in the offseason a bit more difficult (audio). The highlights of Gandler’s thoughts are grumpy and confusing when getting critical of Semin’s season in Washington.
—- Time-on-ice statistics are wrong and Semin isn’t playing as much as the final stats say.
—- Troy Brouwer gets more minutes than Semin does.
—- Semin has become a role player, something he didn’t bank on.
—- Semin plays fewer minutes because the team changed direction for how they wanted to play. (Finally, a salient point)
—- Semin wants to play on the penalty kill and more situations but isn’t allowed to.
—- Being benched after taking a few penalties is bad because the bench is close to the ice and it’s cold.
—- Semin’s plus/minus is his most underrated statistic.
Give the interview a listen because trying to sum up how baffling it all comes together isn’t doing it justice. If Gandler is looking to sell Semin to another team, the price is probably going to drop unless hockey stops being played on ice to help with that whole cold issue.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)