May 16, 2012, 10:33 AM EST
Alexander Semin‘s agent Mark Gandler has already made a name for himself this offseason by saying Semin’s career in Washington is likely over with. While he’s tried to clarify his initial statements, he seems to be going about selling his client in odd ways.
Gandler spoke with Grant Paulsen and Sky Kerstein on DC radio station 106.7 The Fan FM and managed to make Semin’s case to be signed in the offseason a bit more difficult (audio). The highlights of Gandler’s thoughts are grumpy and confusing when getting critical of Semin’s season in Washington.
—- Time-on-ice statistics are wrong and Semin isn’t playing as much as the final stats say.
—- Troy Brouwer gets more minutes than Semin does.
—- Semin has become a role player, something he didn’t bank on.
—- Semin plays fewer minutes because the team changed direction for how they wanted to play. (Finally, a salient point)
—- Semin wants to play on the penalty kill and more situations but isn’t allowed to.
—- Being benched after taking a few penalties is bad because the bench is close to the ice and it’s cold.
—- Semin’s plus/minus is his most underrated statistic.
Give the interview a listen because trying to sum up how baffling it all comes together isn’t doing it justice. If Gandler is looking to sell Semin to another team, the price is probably going to drop unless hockey stops being played on ice to help with that whole cold issue.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)