May 16, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Alexander Semin‘s agent Mark Gandler has already made a name for himself this offseason by saying Semin’s career in Washington is likely over with. While he’s tried to clarify his initial statements, he seems to be going about selling his client in odd ways.
Gandler spoke with Grant Paulsen and Sky Kerstein on DC radio station 106.7 The Fan FM and managed to make Semin’s case to be signed in the offseason a bit more difficult (audio). The highlights of Gandler’s thoughts are grumpy and confusing when getting critical of Semin’s season in Washington.
—- Time-on-ice statistics are wrong and Semin isn’t playing as much as the final stats say.
—- Troy Brouwer gets more minutes than Semin does.
—- Semin has become a role player, something he didn’t bank on.
—- Semin plays fewer minutes because the team changed direction for how they wanted to play. (Finally, a salient point)
—- Semin wants to play on the penalty kill and more situations but isn’t allowed to.
—- Being benched after taking a few penalties is bad because the bench is close to the ice and it’s cold.
—- Semin’s plus/minus is his most underrated statistic.
Give the interview a listen because trying to sum up how baffling it all comes together isn’t doing it justice. If Gandler is looking to sell Semin to another team, the price is probably going to drop unless hockey stops being played on ice to help with that whole cold issue.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)