May 16, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
Alexander Semin‘s days in Washington don’t appear to be very long and with him slated to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, teams will come calling for the former 40-goal scorer. One of the teams that will have a lot of salary cap space and looking to make a splash are the Detroit Red Wings.
No doubt Detroit would be an appealing destination for Semin, because there isn’t a forward in the league who wouldn’t like to play next to Datsyuk. But between what the Wings need and what Semin is going to command in salary, this isn’t a match.
Semin is coming off a year that saw him make more than $6 million on a one-year deal. He’s also had some issues scoring goals the way he used to and his agent isn’t exactly doing much to help his cause either.
Curiously enough, Semin practiced on a line with Datsyuk and Alex Ovechkin in preparation for Russia’s quarterfinal game against Norway at the World Championships. An audition perhaps? If the Wings wind up not landing Zach Parise or Ryan Suter in the offseason and they’re aiming to make a splash, the money and opportunity could be there for Semin just the same.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 51
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 52
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 160
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (161)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)