May 16, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
Alexander Semin‘s days in Washington don’t appear to be very long and with him slated to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, teams will come calling for the former 40-goal scorer. One of the teams that will have a lot of salary cap space and looking to make a splash are the Detroit Red Wings.
No doubt Detroit would be an appealing destination for Semin, because there isn’t a forward in the league who wouldn’t like to play next to Datsyuk. But between what the Wings need and what Semin is going to command in salary, this isn’t a match.
Semin is coming off a year that saw him make more than $6 million on a one-year deal. He’s also had some issues scoring goals the way he used to and his agent isn’t exactly doing much to help his cause either.
Curiously enough, Semin practiced on a line with Datsyuk and Alex Ovechkin in preparation for Russia’s quarterfinal game against Norway at the World Championships. An audition perhaps? If the Wings wind up not landing Zach Parise or Ryan Suter in the offseason and they’re aiming to make a splash, the money and opportunity could be there for Semin just the same.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)