May 16, 2012, 1:11 PM EST
Alexander Semin‘s days in Washington don’t appear to be very long and with him slated to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, teams will come calling for the former 40-goal scorer. One of the teams that will have a lot of salary cap space and looking to make a splash are the Detroit Red Wings.
No doubt Detroit would be an appealing destination for Semin, because there isn’t a forward in the league who wouldn’t like to play next to Datsyuk. But between what the Wings need and what Semin is going to command in salary, this isn’t a match.
Semin is coming off a year that saw him make more than $6 million on a one-year deal. He’s also had some issues scoring goals the way he used to and his agent isn’t exactly doing much to help his cause either.
Curiously enough, Semin practiced on a line with Datsyuk and Alex Ovechkin in preparation for Russia’s quarterfinal game against Norway at the World Championships. An audition perhaps? If the Wings wind up not landing Zach Parise or Ryan Suter in the offseason and they’re aiming to make a splash, the money and opportunity could be there for Semin just the same.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 0
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2