May 16, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
Alexander Semin‘s days in Washington don’t appear to be very long and with him slated to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, teams will come calling for the former 40-goal scorer. One of the teams that will have a lot of salary cap space and looking to make a splash are the Detroit Red Wings.
No doubt Detroit would be an appealing destination for Semin, because there isn’t a forward in the league who wouldn’t like to play next to Datsyuk. But between what the Wings need and what Semin is going to command in salary, this isn’t a match.
Semin is coming off a year that saw him make more than $6 million on a one-year deal. He’s also had some issues scoring goals the way he used to and his agent isn’t exactly doing much to help his cause either.
Curiously enough, Semin practiced on a line with Datsyuk and Alex Ovechkin in preparation for Russia’s quarterfinal game against Norway at the World Championships. An audition perhaps? If the Wings wind up not landing Zach Parise or Ryan Suter in the offseason and they’re aiming to make a splash, the money and opportunity could be there for Semin just the same.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12