May 15, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
They may not have finished first in their group, but Team USA is on fire heading into the elimination round at the World Championships.
After taking down Switzerland 5-2 in their final preliminary round game, the United States is off to the quarterfinals with a rematch against host Finland up next as they aim to land a medal. Paul Stastny had a goal and two assists while Jimmy Howard stopped 25 shots to lock down the win. Bobby Ryan also added a goal and an assist.
Team USA finishes the preliminary round going 4-2-0-1, their best opening round since 1939. With Team USA’s win, they avoided finishing behind both Finland and Slovakia who each won their final games. Canada will face Slovakia in Group H’s other quarterfinal match-up.
Now the Americans will have a Thursday date in the quarters against a Finnish team they dominated over the weekend in a 5-0 win (watch that game live at 11:30 a.m. ET Thursday on NBCSN). Team USA won’t be able to get revenge on Anssi Salmela for his brutal hit from behind on Alex Goligoski in that game as Salmela was suspended for three games by the IIHF. At this point in the tournament, the Americans will happily settle for another win over revenge.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)