May 15, 2012, 11:28 PM EDT
The second period of Game 2 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes got a little ugly. Earlier we asked if Shane Doan deserves a suspension for boarding Trevor Lewis. Now let’s move on to the other memorable moment of violence: Mike Smith channeling the slashing spirit of New York Islanders great Billy Smith by hacking away at Dustin Brown.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Somewhat comically, Brown received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the play, nullifying Smith’s slashing call. It wouldn’t end up being the only moment when Brown took a rough blow, either, as Martin Hanzal received a major penalty for boarding Brown in the third period.
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 23
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79