May 15, 2012, 11:28 PM EDT
The second period of Game 2 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes got a little ugly. Earlier we asked if Shane Doan deserves a suspension for boarding Trevor Lewis. Now let’s move on to the other memorable moment of violence: Mike Smith channeling the slashing spirit of New York Islanders great Billy Smith by hacking away at Dustin Brown.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Somewhat comically, Brown received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the play, nullifying Smith’s slashing call. It wouldn’t end up being the only moment when Brown took a rough blow, either, as Martin Hanzal received a major penalty for boarding Brown in the third period.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11