May 15, 2012, 11:28 PM EDT
The second period of Game 2 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes got a little ugly. Earlier we asked if Shane Doan deserves a suspension for boarding Trevor Lewis. Now let’s move on to the other memorable moment of violence: Mike Smith channeling the slashing spirit of New York Islanders great Billy Smith by hacking away at Dustin Brown.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Somewhat comically, Brown received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the play, nullifying Smith’s slashing call. It wouldn’t end up being the only moment when Brown took a rough blow, either, as Martin Hanzal received a major penalty for boarding Brown in the third period.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31