May 15, 2012, 11:28 PM EDT
The second period of Game 2 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes got a little ugly. Earlier we asked if Shane Doan deserves a suspension for boarding Trevor Lewis. Now let’s move on to the other memorable moment of violence: Mike Smith channeling the slashing spirit of New York Islanders great Billy Smith by hacking away at Dustin Brown.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Somewhat comically, Brown received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the play, nullifying Smith’s slashing call. It wouldn’t end up being the only moment when Brown took a rough blow, either, as Martin Hanzal received a major penalty for boarding Brown in the third period.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5