May 15, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
According to Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, it’s “a virtual certainty” that head coach Todd McLellan will be back behind the bench next season in San Jose.
Kurz’s conclusion is “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
In support of the above, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that GM Doug Wilson told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
Both Kurz and Friedman suggest the holdup in publicly endorsing McLellan could be related to the assistant coaching staff – specifically, who will be part of it.
The Sharks are expected to philosophically alter the way they approach the penalty kill, and also who handles that unit, which finished 29th in the NHL this season and was just 12-for-18 in the playoffs. [Jay] Woodcroft oversaw the PK this season, but he could get reassigned to other duties within the organization.
When ownership gave Wilson a vote of confidence on May 2, part of the statement posted on the team’s website read, “The ownership group has confidence that Doug will make the necessary changes to ensure our club remains among the NHL’s elite franchises.”
In other words, doing nothing isn’t an option for Wilson. Though for now it doesn’t appear change will be coming in the head-coaching department.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)