May 15, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
According to Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, it’s “a virtual certainty” that head coach Todd McLellan will be back behind the bench next season in San Jose.
Kurz’s conclusion is “based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.”
In support of the above, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that GM Doug Wilson told McLellan “three days after the season ended that the Sharks’ bench boss was staying.”
Both Kurz and Friedman suggest the holdup in publicly endorsing McLellan could be related to the assistant coaching staff – specifically, who will be part of it.
The Sharks are expected to philosophically alter the way they approach the penalty kill, and also who handles that unit, which finished 29th in the NHL this season and was just 12-for-18 in the playoffs. [Jay] Woodcroft oversaw the PK this season, but he could get reassigned to other duties within the organization.
When ownership gave Wilson a vote of confidence on May 2, part of the statement posted on the team’s website read, “The ownership group has confidence that Doug will make the necessary changes to ensure our club remains among the NHL’s elite franchises.”
In other words, doing nothing isn’t an option for Wilson. Though for now it doesn’t appear change will be coming in the head-coaching department.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 8
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 36
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 16
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)